History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Snipers on D-day.
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 25 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 07:22 AM UTC
What were the snipers roles on D-day, how were they positioned and what are better thing the snipers could have done.
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 725 Posts
KitMaker Network: 320 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 11:14 AM UTC
First off welcome to armorama!

Now to your question;
There doesn't seem to be a great deal of info floating around about this. From what I have gathered thier role was to support the landings (sea & air) by performing a counter sniper role. Whenever a unit would become bogged down by a sniper they would be called into action. From what a local D-Day Vet tells me they had a sniper assigned to thier platoon when they landed on Omaha beach and according to him having a sniper per company was a fairly regular practice. I am not an expert so take this with a grain of salt, it is just what I have gathered over the years.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 03:17 AM UTC
I didn't know that. I was just thinking the Germans had snipers at the beach and that the Allied ones didn't come into play until a few weeks later though I figured the Airborne troops had them from get-go. Now I know
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2006 - 09:23 PM UTC
There were actually Marine sharpshooters stationed on navy ships. I think their role was to shoot mines?
paholmes
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 5 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 10:11 PM UTC
I toured the landing beaches last October, saw many museums and collections, including sniper rifles on both sides.

I don't recall any mentioning of snipers playing a specific role in the invasion itself, rather stories of snipers and more "individual" accomplishments / incedents once the forces got ashore.

Interesting though about Marine snipers going after the mines.....

Paul.
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
entire network: 2,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 613 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 11:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't recall any mentioning of snipers playing a specific role in the invasion itself,

That's because there wasn't one. Snipers aren't really effective during a movement to contact, unless they can cover such a movement, either in an advanced scout role or in support. Support wasn't possible cos there wasn't anywhere to support from. And I don't think there were advance scouts beyond the beach. Snipers would have stormed ashore with the rest of the troops and then got on with their traditional role.
WHaT
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 26 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 11:13 PM UTC
If you think about it snipers would be a bigger advantage to the axis on d-day than to the allies. mainly because its much easier to kill someone with a sniper on higher ground than on lower ground plus on d-day a allied sniper would not cozily lay on the ground and pick off targets he would have bullets flying all around him the shake of explosions. Simply its not a good place for snipers if i was at d-day i would much rather have a garand than a sniper (actually id much rather like to have a flamethrower or a tank ) but i do congratulate you 011010101010 for bringing this up there is not much information on this subject.
WHaT
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 26 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 19, 2006 - 08:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You two have been playing too many video games.......

lol probably not as much as binary dude but i do play alot :-)