_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Medal display question
EmerldEyze
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 28 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2002 - 03:32 AM UTC
I have my grandfather's Bronze Star medal and I would like to display it but I also want it to be protected. Does anyone know the best way to do this? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, I have several old newspapers and some magazines ( including a Japanese propaganda book. They were going to hand it out to Americans after they took over the U.S.!) and I would like to store them in airtight sleeves. Does anyone know if these exist and where I can find them?

Thanks
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 796 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2002 - 04:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have my grandfather's Bronze Star medal and I would like to display it but I also want it to be protected. Does anyone know the best way to do this? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, I have several old newspapers and some magazines ( including a Japanese propaganda book. They were going to hand it out to Americans after they took over the U.S.!) and I would like to store them in airtight sleeves. Does anyone know if these exist and where I can find them?

Thanks

I found these on the internet using "display cases" as search

http://www.customdisplays.com

Steve
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2002 - 04:06 AM UTC
I figure that if you want to display the medal in a place to protect and honor the memory of your grandfather you have the medal (and any other memorabilia you have of him) mounted in a shadowbox. This will keep it protected as well as display it.

Here's a link that has some examples of what I'm talking about. Click here.

Most of the military guys on the site know what I'm talking about and a display that's done right is very impressive.
TheGame
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 98 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2002 - 04:22 AM UTC
With the newspapers and magazines I'm not sure of the airtight aspect, but I have some comic books that I had framed and I made sure they used the UV protection glass so they would not fade. If you plan on framing the paperwork, make sure you get that glass to help protect them.
Shadowbox sounds like a good idea for the medal.
KMM
Visit this Community
entire network: 91 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2002 - 04:22 AM UTC
Used shadowboxes for my grandfather and great-grandfather's medals and they look great. You can go to someplace like Hobby Lobby, Michael's, or other craft-type stores and find shadowboxes in various sizes for a decent price.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2002 - 05:42 AM UTC
You best bet for the paper articles is to get repros of them at a Kinkos (or the like) and keep the originals in an air-tight, acid free protective sleeve. They may deteriorate if left in the open, even in a shadow box.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2002 - 06:13 AM UTC
Hmm, not an expert on this subject but we have several display cases at our main lodge that have been there for a very long time. They are a vacuum sealed glass inner case that is mounted in a rather flambouyant mahogany outer frame. Don't know if there's a modern day example of this, or where to get it (most of my fellow Masons are nigh in their 60's and 70's).

Rob has the right idea about using an air tight, acid free environment for long term display of such valuable items. My only concern would be the physical copying of the paper materials. If cost is an issue, please use caution with the handling of these. If cost isn't, there are professional places where one can get family heirloom pictures for example treated like the museum quality pieces they are and mounted properly. This way they are treated properly, and insured.

Tread.
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2002 - 08:22 AM UTC
My wife had her wedding boque (sp?) sealed air tight in a framed box. It was done at a framing store. No dust has got in for the 4 years its been in there and it looks exactly like it did when she had it freeze dried. I am not sure if thats what your looking for or not. Framing stores can make them most sizes and depths you need if I recall. You should be proud of having such specail items and memories, I would want to preserve them also. I wish you luck.
KMM
Visit this Community
entire network: 91 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2002 - 11:53 AM UTC
I definately agree with either copying the documents or taking them to a really good (and probably expensive) framing place and having them done in in all the acid-free, UV resistant stuff. I have the maps my grandfather carried across Europe (with his route and the names of concentration camps written on them) as well as my great-grandfather's Iron cross award letters that I definately want to display someday. I'll probably have to go to an archiving-type place and shell out some money, but it will be worth it.
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2002 - 11:14 AM UTC
Funny you should ask, I was just looking through a catalog I rec'd while reading your post. It's from a company called Medals of America. The have desplay cases, ribbons, unit patches, etc. They have a website, according to the catalog. URL
www.usmedals.com

regards,
Mike
 _GOTOTOP