_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Super Glue and Photoetch
dgrady72
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 75 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 05:23 AM UTC
What is the best method of attaching photoetch with superglue? I have tried the super thin type and keep messing things up.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 05:43 AM UTC
First of all you need to remember you only get one chance to glue with CA. CA changes the molecular structure to combine the two surfaces together. Once the surface has been altered you can't use CA on it again without sanding off the surface layer exposing new surface.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 09:22 AM UTC
Try going to medium viscosity. It's easier to control and keep where you want it. You generally have several seconds to make minor adjustments, then hit with accelerator if needed. If you mess up, you can almost always pop the part off with a chisel blade, as CA doesn't have good shear strength. The CA will usually lift off resin. Plastic is a bit tougher. In either case, you can burn it off of the PE and start over.
WingTzun
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 853 Posts
KitMaker Network: 182 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 12, 2006 - 09:25 PM UTC
I just tried my had at photoetch on the LRDG Chey I finally started after a 20 year absence from modeling. I was hesitant to use the regular superglue so I used Maxi-Cure Extra Thick 1oz Zap-a-Gap from Greatmodels webstore that sets in 10-25 seconds. The glue is a little thick so I made an aluminum foil tub to put a bit in then used Flexi-file's Cyanoacrylate Cement Applicator to apply the glue. I was expecting to have trouble with the superglue but I had plenty of time to work with it. The problem I did have and still have is that the #%&*) photoetch is not as rigid as I thought it would be and the pieces are so small and difficult to work with. I guess I have to try some of the larger pieces in the set to build confidence & practice.
dgrady72
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 75 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 12, 2006 - 11:22 PM UTC
Thank you all. I wish there was a brush application for this. I will try the medium viscosity(sp?) glue and hope I can fix the Panther I am working on.
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 03:27 PM UTC
i use acetone, nail polish remover, to break ca welds, works for me and ya can brush it on too..

reb
SlapHead
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 291 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 08:38 PM UTC
BUT it melts plastic, so use with care

Alasdair

See what happens when you use to much

_GOTOTOP