_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
choosing models
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 2,088 Posts
KitMaker Network: 471 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 02:48 PM UTC
hi all
I just relised this the other day while i was looking through my local hobby shop, saw a couple of models and said to myself so and so said that this was a good build i'll think about buying it.
does anyone else think likes this.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 03:20 PM UTC
Thinking and or doing that Gets me in trouble.................
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,434 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 03:29 PM UTC
i unfortunatly have that problem. i go to get something specific and walk out with more than i can build in my alotted time in my workshop. iguess it keeps us alway busy. good hunting stug

ps that Tamiya King tiger is a good build. buwhahahahahahahhahahahahha!!!!!!!!!!!
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 08:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

. iguess it keeps us alway busy.

and broke.

Cliff
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 01:30 AM UTC
:-) Not really, My aim is to build models of all aircraft types, of all combatants fromm WWII. If a model is available of a particular type, from that conflict then I want it. I am interested in wether or not it's a good build but that wouldn't be a primary reason for buying it. If ther was a choice those thoughts would come into the equation though as would price and level of detail.
Oh by the way I do realise that I have no chance of fulfilling my aim, unless, that is, I speed up my build times by a million percent or a cure is found for old age
Mal
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 02:24 AM UTC
I mainly build WW2 but I go more for an interesting sublect rather than tie myself down to a certain field. I have a few ARVs at the moment. (M32, 2 x M88 and a bergtiger). This was my theory at the start and with all the tanks on display I built a few of them but now am fed up a bit with them. I suppose softskins as a whole wouldbe more appealing to me. Never say never ........ I actually am thnking of picking up the academy black hawk, just for a change.
But it does help when somebody gives a good build review......... I would take this into consideration if I had to choose between two kits.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 07:19 AM UTC
Sometimes I wish I did wait ,but do I.......NOOOOO!! I just got to have it first!! So I have alot of kits sitting on my shelves with lots of notes saying this part is wrong ..got to change this ...do that ...but hey ...He who dies with the most kits ..Wins!! Right!! #:-)

Richard
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 07:41 AM UTC
For a while there I thought, "Nope I don't need that kit now. I'll just pick it up later"
Well "later" means that the kit is then out of production and if I REALLY want one I'll have to go searching (lots of work in the pre-internet days, thank you very much SF3D!) or pay through the nose.
So then for a while I followed the mantra of, "I'll pick it up now and put it in storage. That way I'll have it when I want to build it" but that got expensive and took up lots of space...

Nowadays, I have to ask "Do I want this kit more than I want to have a house?" if the answer is no, and it almost always is... I put it back and go home and work on a kit I have already paid for. At least that's what I TRY to do...

My resolution for the year is to finish 2 before buying another, and finish 5 before starting another.
12 days in, so far so good.

Mike

MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 07:41 AM UTC
the problem I have is a lot of the kits I would like are only availiable from England and the USA and with the exchange rate from Aussie$ to Pounds /Euro, US$ it makes a lot of them too far out of my price range. An example is PSP's 1/35 scale Corbitt kit. Approximately $360 AUD plus freight.

But here in the shops I often brouse and buy on inpulse. Kit reviews I do read but they do not convince me that a kit is worth buying.

Cliff
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 09:52 AM UTC
I have. I've seen kits that catch my eye. If they are in the subject area and look fun I'll snag it and add it to the pile!!

Gotta Have Kits!!!!!!!!!
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 10:00 AM UTC
My problem is there's a great modeler who shows us his skills every two weeks, in his nicely stocked shop ! How am I supposed to resist ? So, to thank him, you've got to by a little something. I go there to by an academy mutt, and I see that cool DML hetzer... i must say it's getting expensive !
clovis899
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 774 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 10:39 AM UTC
I think we may be in the golden age of modeling, with kits (well-done) coming at us fast and furious. So many of us got into this hobby when new releases were few and far between and anything that seemed appealing was snapped up because, frankly, there wasn't much else to snap up. Now we have dozens of publications, super web-sites (did someone say Armorama!) and friends both at home and on-line that recommend or do great things with this kit or that, and we feel that urge to buy it and buy it now. I know I am guilty more often than I would like, and now I have a literal lifetime of kits to build and they still keep coming out with even better stuff everyday. Oh well, at least when I pass from this earth someone out there is going to end up with a pile of plastic!

Rick
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 10:55 AM UTC
I tend to build what interests me. which is WWII armor and aircraft.. esp the armored cars and halftracks.. I do tend to ask around about what kind of build it is, but that doesn't really affect what I choose to do.
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 02:50 PM UTC
I build solely IDf subjects, but if I see someting they used and I don't have. It usualy end up in my bag.

shiryon aKa Josh Weingarten
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2003 - 01:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

. iguess it keeps us alway busy.

and broke.

Cliff

It's not the kit that keeps us broke, it's the $20 PE set, the $10 barrel, the $25 resin upgrade and $35 tracks. It's the $50 in reference material, $20 in figures to flesh out the tank, and the $200 a gallon paint to make it look good. It's the $100 airbrush, $200 compressor and $50 moto tool. It's the files, blades, sandpaper and brushes. Well, I guess it's better than being addicted. Right? It is better, isn't it? #:-)
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2003 - 01:33 AM UTC
well

I only built WW2 Armour and now and then I built something else but only WW2 then so that`s not where the problem is but If I see something than I have to buy it and now there opened a bigger problem his doors in my neighbourhood. .... In a small town next to the village where I live a trainshop is now selling 1:35 kits and for very nice prices I believe I saw a tamiya 88 mm for only 15 Euro the last time that I bought that kit I have paid round the 80 guilders for it. that will be round the 38/37 Euroand he has more of those quite nice prices so I will be off the next month thinking how I going to pay the insurance and stuff :-)
:-) :-)

Paul160
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 102 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2003 - 04:20 AM UTC
i go in looking for something specific and coming out with something else. Oh well, i will use them at some point.

Cheers,
PAul
BornToDig
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 345 Posts
KitMaker Network: 19 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 05:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...but hey ...He who dies with the most kits ..Wins!! Right!! #:-)

You've touched a nerve here with that. Ever since returning to the hobby about 2 years ago I've purchased some 30 kits and finished maybe around 6, I'm becoming one of "those guys". You know, those fellas that have more in stock than a small hobby shop. Why do we do this? Are there any of us out there who actually think we'll come around and finish some of those things we've purchased (and even worse) started building years ago?
Heres a "hypothetical" situation; An armor modeler who really should be working on his masters thesis and not wasting time on Armorama (remember this is hypothetical), goes out to the local hobby shop to buy a bottle of paint. Naturally he goes to look at the kits and sees a cool looking DML Brumbar. Now he knows he always gets frustrated by DML models, and has yet to finish a single one of the 8 sitting in his appartment. With full knowledge of the time and money he will be wasting, this modeler goes up to the cash register with the afore mentioned kit, pays for it, takes it home and greedily opens up the box. He fondles the parts and instructions for some time then the box gets placed into the closet with all the others and it will sit there for lord knows how long. Days later this modeler realizes what he did was stupid so he goes on armorama to complain about it

So, did I just describe 90% of us here?

Ralph
 _GOTOTOP