_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Some advice on PE
blackwolf
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 68 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 01:49 PM UTC
Hi guys
I bought the Aber PE for my Jagdpanther it was the set he had in stock and the guy at the hobby shop sain he used it before. So far i'm impressed,but it was a little fustrating at first. One thing I have to say I took Sabot's advice and bought a "hold and fold" worth the money!
But, i do need some advice on some things. How do you guys hold those little itty bitty bits?Then how do you put the bends or curves on the bits? Any other advice that you can think of would be helpful!! Thanks Scott
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 760 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 04:54 PM UTC
To hold all of the little bits, I use a pair of smooth-jawed needle nose pliers. I use my Hold N Fold to do most of my bending, but on some wee little parts I will hold them at the bend spot with the needle nose pliers and bend them with my finger. For curved pieces, I roll something round like a dowel rod, the handle of a paint brush, toothpick, etc. over the piece to get it to curve. I just bought the Aber Jagdpanther set myself as well as the Aber Jagdpanther side skirts.

HTH
blackwolf
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 68 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 05:04 PM UTC
Duh !!! I have a million dowel laying in the workshop same with the pliers. I guess next time I'll open my eyes!!! !! So far I think I'm hooked on the PE. Scott
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,434 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 05:41 PM UTC
i've used that set, too and i looks nice. i reqomend a ball point pen for raised beeds in the ferders. it comes in handy. also a pair of fine tip tweezers will help in getting the parts to the tank. happy building stug
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 06:27 PM UTC
There is a stamp collecting tweezer (I think that's its true purpose). They have a slight sliding lock on them. They can hold a wee PE piece for placement.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 12:43 AM UTC
My only advice for PE is that you don't HAVE to use every single teeny tiny part, especially those flat grabhandles or (talking Aber here) working tool clamps or travel lock chains..
Some of that stuff is for the pyschotic... -meaning no insult to actual psychotics....-grin-

I had read somewhere that you can glue the PE part to a bit of the thinnest sheet plastic with CA, trim around it, and then glue the part to the kit with regular model cement.

It supposedly has the advantage of , since the plastic layer is quite thin, also simulating the weld bead around the part.

I plan to try this with the tool holder frames on a panther soon and will report back.

Mike
Mike
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 04:44 AM UTC
If you've got tweezers Put a piece of heat shrink tubing over it to act as a lock.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 07:11 AM UTC
A little trick for not losing as many pieces into you PE eating carpet...While working with PE what I do is place a box top on my knees and push it up against the underside of my work bench so every time I drop a piece ..it falls into the box instead of dissappearing forever into no where land .Still haven't got a trick for the deadly PE launch that sometimes happens ...Isn't that the worst !!

Richard
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 01:41 AM UTC
Bear

Try a peice of masking tape, sticky side up... that should hold the PE from launching into oblivion...
whiterook
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 263 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 04:47 PM UTC
Sergeant:
What the hell is a PE. :

Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 05:13 PM UTC
PE=Photo etch. Flat pieces of brass or stainless steel that have detail parts etched onto them with acid (called a "fret"). Eduard is one of the main manufacturers of PE and Aber and Part, as well as Verlinden also do PE. Tamiya, AFV Club and RPM do PE specifically for one of their own kits, sometimes including these sets in the kit boxes (AFV Club Wiesel for one).

Detail is amazing on many of PE sets. Some modelers look for PE availability prior to purchaing a kit. These miniscule parts have a tendancy to launch into space at inopportune times. Try to picture a 1/35 scale padlock hasp or mesh screen. Some pieces are very tiny.
whiterook
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 263 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2003 - 04:00 AM UTC
Thanks General:

Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 851 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2003 - 06:37 AM UTC
Building all of the PE is the most fun part of all!
Also, losing pieces is a challenge because you have to make a new part out of spare fret, YAY!
What Adam Avukich said is the best advice I can give.
Use all the parts though as they really ENHANCE the look of the kit.

Andrew

_GOTOTOP