Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
Question on a Possible UA from Basic.......
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 06:05 PM UTC
I've heard the possibility that someonre I know is UA from Basic training.
I have an Idea where this person Is....... I'm not sure if I should call the Recruitng Office to Confirm what i've heard (and let them know where I think he could be)......or just let it be........

Ideas?
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,716 Posts
KitMaker Network: 531 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 09:51 PM UTC
Figure out if it is true. If so, yes, I'd call the recruiting office. I am sure by now that if that person is AWOL, the instructors at the Basic Training unit know he is missing.

Jeff
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 11:21 PM UTC
They may be hesitant to release that type of information due to privacy concerns. Best bet would be to ask his parents or other next of kin. Or if you have his name and address at basic training, try to send him a letter or post card and see if it comes back undelivered.
BM2
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,361 Posts
KitMaker Network: 327 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 06:07 PM UTC
As a recruit all he will recieve is a general discharge under failure to adapt - I'd leave it be - if he's a coward he can live with it on his conscience waiting for the truth to come out.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 06:47 PM UTC
The catch was,...... He never left for Basic...... he left the hotel the night before he was supposed to leave..........
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 1,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 265 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 09:06 PM UTC
If he failed to report to the induction processing section, that is "serious" but much less so than had he gone absent without leave after going into uniform and actually started his training.

I suppose that a case of cold feet at the last minute and pulling a "runaway bride" could be recovered from if that's what he wants to do. As embarrassing as it is, he needs to contact his recruiter and 'fess up, and see if the recruiter can smooth things over. If the guy really wants to go in, there MAY be a change they can give him a mulligan.

And if he is REALLY sure that signing up was a mistake, the worst thing that can happen is they'll void his contract, and probably issue a General Discharge as John mentioned.

Whether this guy knows it or not, he IS in the military, the minute he signs his name to the contract and raises his hand. He was in that hotel because there was an order with his name on it and a report date. Failure to report is a violation of law, and while there is not much change of any really serious consequences to this (they're NOT likely to send him to jail!) this isn't going to just "go away", it's only likely to get worse if he waits.

He needs to contact his recruiter now and face the music.

Tom
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 725 Posts
KitMaker Network: 320 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 11:33 AM UTC
Face the Music is the best thing that he can do. The fact that he chose not to continue indicates that he isn't suited for the military. No harm , no foul. He simply needs to have the intestinal fortitude to admit it and deal with the consequences.

THe best thing you can do as a friend is talk to him and encourage him to turn himself in so he doesn't have this hanging over his head for the rest of his life.
Kruger
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 9 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 09:41 AM UTC
I'll be honest, I have NO respect for deserter's, this is an unaccpetable act. He should be charged and given a dishonorable discharge immediately.
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 1,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 265 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 12:26 AM UTC
The reality is that there is NO way the Army or any other service is going to spend the time and effort to conduct a General Court Martial on someone who, while he absolutely DID sign an enlistment contract and took and oath, never even made it to the first day of basic. It's just not going to happen.

As dishonorable as the behavior, this guy isn't worth the time and effort.

An administrative discharge is really the best thing. While "legally" the guy is a soldier, he really never was. In that sense he doesn't even DESERVE a GCM.

Tom