Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
awoken to the sound of merlin engines
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 05, 2006 - 09:53 PM UTC
While sleeping off the effects of a b.b.q. and copius amounts of lager I was awoken by the sound of Rolls royce merlins, I looked up into a clear blue sky to see a Spitfire and a Hurricane flying over my garden.What a way to wind up the afternoon, i was told by aircraft buffs in work that it was the centinery flight who had been over biggin hill they had included a Lanc but I missed out on that
Vic
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,697 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 12:41 AM UTC

Fantastic sounding engines if not the best.
Here in bristol, Rolls Royce or British Aerospace have a Spit that flys from time to time. I think it's got the Griffon engine in it though but it still sounds nice.

International Air Tatoo at RAF Fairford next month. There'll be some Merlins there and so will I be I hope.

Vic
almonkey
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,124 Posts
KitMaker Network: 369 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 02:37 AM UTC
heard and saw a spitfire on sunday, over rolls royce at hucknall, got my binocs out and i reckon it was a mark xvi griffon engined version
FANTASTIC!
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 4,002 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 12:53 PM UTC
What mark of lager was it John?
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 03:17 PM UTC
Two cans of Fosters mark1 and five bottles of Becks 109 :-)
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 03:41 PM UTC
Sitting next to the River Chelmer on Sunday, eating an ice cream and the Sally B flew over (B-17). Work here in Essex is occasionally enlivened by the odd P-47 and P-51 flypast as well as the BBMF.

Not like the old days when I used to work in Wales and see a lot of more recent military traffic. Including A-10s making passes over the trains between Newport and Chepstow. Then there was standing up on the Kymin outside Monmouth and looking down onto the Tornadoes flying up the Wye Valley.
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 12:24 AM UTC
Remeber the ceremonies for the first gulf war,I was driving back from Norfolk on that day when we drove onto the top of a valley in Suffolk in the valley itself were the Tornadoes ready to assemble for the flypast in London they must have been marshalling in the valley, what a sight ,and noise. I will never forget that sight.
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, June 12, 2006 - 04:27 PM UTC
I was working on the coast in Pembrokeshire just after the 1991 Gulf War and there were a few desert pink Tornados about then.

Even more impressive were the F-111s which used to fly in off the Irish Sea at little more than rooftop height and up the river valley nearby. They were flying so low that the noise arrived as the planes came overhead. Caught us by suurprise nearly every time - we'd just hear the beginning of a whistle, then they would appear over the house across the road and all other sounds were blanked out.
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 12, 2006 - 11:50 PM UTC
I was at Duxford once and one those buzzed the airstrip scared the living daylights out of me and the mrs
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,594 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 04:12 AM UTC

Few years back--was sitting on the top of a ridge in the the training area at Brecon -Sennybridge-lounging on the bonnet of the staff car---when I was knocked on my @@@@ by 2 Tornados(?)..they came up the valley -hopped over the ridge and I swear the off-side tyres left the ground ...came back 5mins later and buzzed me again ----had the audacity to waggle their wings as they went down the valley--my boss saw it and laughed all the way back to the barracks :-) :-)
Still got the "gravel-rash"
aye
Barv
(GOSMG)

ps ---good place for spotting --Pitlochery ...they fly up theTay river valley and over the dam ..very often
Merlin engine run -up at Corbridge show (between Newcastle and Carlisle)every year

John-B
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 163 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 02:35 AM UTC
Snap John,

I took off for some timber that morning from North Romford and drove towards Chigwell to visit my local wood yard. Having just loaded the car and paid we were all surprised to hear the drone of aircraft and behold, there was a Lancaster flanked by 4 Fighters, two Hurricanes and two Spitfires. What a fantastic sight. I drove back down the lane only to find what appeared to be the ‘Battle of Britain Memorial Flight’ of the Queen's Birthday Flypast circle around me twice – so I had to stop the car to watch. It was like having my own personal air display and flypast!

I then took a steady drive home only to pull up at my drive to the roar of more jets flying in formation. They were flying pretty slowly but in the blink of an eye they were gone while others appeared, it brought the whole street to a standstill. In four waves I think I saw the Four Eurofighter Typhoons and possibly the C-17 Globemaster III strategic transport aircraft – if not then certainly the Tristar air-to-air or VC-10 refuelling aircraft and Eurofighter Typhoons. Next came Nine Tornado GR4s and then Nine Hawks of the Red Arrows aerobatic team. A splendid sight indeed.

John-B
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,726 Posts
KitMaker Network: 558 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 04:17 AM UTC
Just inland from us is a small airport that houses 3 restored P-51's. They usually come over this way for the Watsonville Air Show on Memorial Day weekend. Seeing and hearing all three buzzing the stands at the show is incredible.
I was out on some cliffs over looking the beach one day several years back and I heard the familiar sound of a Merlin in the distance. To my suprise a beautiful blue nosed P-51 (Straw Boss) was flying right up the beach line about level with there I was standing but several hundred yards out. Boy was that a thrilling sight.
Cheers,
Charles
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 12:53 PM UTC
The Queen's birthday flypast went over the station at Chelmsford while I was waiting for a train to Manningtree. I missed the first two waves, but SWMBO definitely saw a C-17 and some Typhoons. I got back on the platform in time to see the VC-10 and Tornadoes and other stuff, the last wave was the Red Arrows together with a Canberra. Sadly the BBMF must have taken a different route as we didn't see them at all.

The RAF must love archaeologists as they tend to buzz sites quite often. One of my mates was working near Hadrian's Wall and the jet wash from a passing Tornado scattered their buckets and stuff all over the place. We once got a wave from the pilot of a Victor tanker which was flying up the Usk Valley at something less than the recommended height and the Hercules came over us at Bulmore well below the top of the hills - and we were about halfway up the valley side
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 02:12 AM UTC
Many years ago (in the early 80s') I was guarding Greenham Common.

We were sitting next to the runway and an SR71 Blackbird took off then came back to buzz the runway on afterburner.

Amazing!
SkateOrDie
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 747 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 04:02 AM UTC
One time my parents and I were up shopping in davenport IA on the day of the airshow we're getting gas at a sams club and overhead flys zeros corsairs. we're driving to a resturant a B 29 liberator flew over at low level.
I've been flown over by a B1 Bomber WITH the afterburners going.