TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Wittmann's and Peiper's story
darreng
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 789 Posts
KitMaker Network: 66 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 05, 2006 - 01:17 AM UTC
Who thinks Wittmann's and Peiper's stories would make a good movie?
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 2,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 650 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 05, 2006 - 02:46 AM UTC
I do...

You could do a two hour movie just on Wittmans story alone. I'm a big fan of both soldiers.
darreng
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 05, 2006 - 02:29 PM UTC
Yeah I have to agree, both great soldiers whose stories need to be told on film!
dad4
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 14 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 04:41 AM UTC
Hi Darren,

I think that Wittman's movie would be a great flick, but Pieper's would be a little too hard to tell "from a good guys" point of view. Too many bad stories of Pieper. Now....a new movie of Rommel would be great! As a matter of fact I think the actor Ed Harris (German sniper in "Enemy at the Gates") would be perfect for the role. This way the "good guy" character could be played for everyone. Hey, what can I say, I love WWII history and movies about it. By the way...."Battle of the Bulge" would make a great addition to my DVD collection. Yeah, it's Hollywood, but isn't it just entertainment anyway?

Brian
darreng
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 10:03 PM UTC
I don't think Peiper was a bad soldier, he was just doing his job like all soldiers, and I think Rommel's story would be a good remake. And also Barkmann and Hartmann would make good subjects!
jabo6
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 276 Posts
KitMaker Network: 72 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 02:19 AM UTC
good soldiers dont shoot prisoners of war [malmedy] or civilians. dont forget first and foremost these guys were NAZIS.
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
entire network: 2,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 613 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 06:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

dont forget first and foremost these guys were NAZIS.

Sure, and the Russians were communists. But we still make movies about 'em. And if we can pay for books about Skorzeny, I don't see a problem with a movie. BTW, Rommel was a Nazi too.

As for Peiper, remember that there are many conflicting accounts of the massacre, and it's still arguable whether he had a direct hand in it, even though he was ultimately responsible because of command. So a movie could easily avoid too much controversy if handled properly. Besides, Peiper was convicted, served time, and was released. So what's the problem?
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 12:35 AM UTC
Was Rommel a Nazi? I always consider him a soldier and a damm good one.Ive read a lot about the North African campaign and many allied and axis soldiers say it was a soldiers campaign and each side held a lot of respect for each other.Now this is a historical question. Did the S.S. operate in North Africa I have never seen any reference to them being there.
darreng
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 12:38 AM UTC
Hi John. The S.S. only operated in Poland, France 1940, the Eastern Front France 1944, the Balkans and in the defence of the Reich! And no Rommel was not a Nazi!
afromon_11
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 52 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 02:35 AM UTC
I think Wittman would make a great story, i once read how he and 4 other tanks destroyed a column of 32 allied vehicles with no loss to themselves!!! However i cant agree with the peiper movie, correct me if im wrong but i believe he was the commanding officer of group of germans who massacred 100 americans in a field. I do agree with the Rommel movie though, although he did command a great german army againt americans and brits, he was a member of a plot to kill hitler, which would add to his credibility.

Cheers
John
Tapper
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 664 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 03:03 AM UTC
Are you crazy? Although it would be an incredible story, the world we live in is WAY too p-whipped touchy-feely-tell-me-about-your-feelings-my-dad-never-hugged-me liberal to allow such a movie to be made. Of course, we can make movies about the Communists 'cause they always played nice.
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 725 Posts
KitMaker Network: 320 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 12:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Darren,

I a new movie of Rommel would be great! As a matter of fact I think the actor Ed Harris (German sniper in "Enemy at the Gates") would be perfect for the role.
Brian

I agree 100% but I'm don't think for a second that either Rommel or Wittman's stories would ever be told in movies today. To much "Politically Correct" crap going on. It's a shame that history has to bow to "niceness"!
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
Posted: Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 04:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Was Rommel a Nazi? I always consider him a soldier and a damm good one.

What's one got to do with the other? Peiper, Skorzeni, Guderian, Meyer, and many others were exceptional soldiers, and also members of the Nazi party.

Quoted Text

And no Rommel was not a Nazi!

I'd love to hear your rationale for this. No, he wasn't a party member, but is that the only definition? And no, being a part of the plot to kill Hitler isn't a disqualification. Several of the plotters were Nazi party members who felt a change of leadership was needed. It wasn't an ideaological thing. Rommel himself, was an open admirer of Hitler, and while he was implicated in the July plot, there was no real indication that he was deeply involved, more from association really.

I think a well-handled movie on Peiper could be a success. It just depends how he's portrayed. There are many sides to any hero/villain.
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 09, 2006 - 01:12 AM UTC
I'd love to see a movie made about these men, the key is to making it authentic and true to the lives of these men. Don't 'Hollywoodize' it too much, that would kill it easily.

I've love to see a movie about Hitler, the only well made movie about him was Downfall (out-friggin-standing movie and acting by Bruno Ganz). Reason for that is because he is an important historical figure and I'm sure people would like to see a true portrayal of the man, not a charicature of him as many movies show him. I don't want to see him signing an autograph for Indiana Jones for example. lol I enjoy history, these men are all important historical figures and people should be able to see their stories.
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
Posted: Friday, June 09, 2006 - 11:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

the key is to making it authentic and true to the lives of these men. Don't 'Hollywoodize' it too much, that would kill it easily.

The way to not 'Hollywoodize' it would be to make it outside Hollywood. Like 'Downfall', and other great German movies, such as 'Das Boot', I think a German or European look at these guys would be most authentic. One of the best movies I saw about the NATO involvement in Bosnia was a Brit movie called 'Warriors', with Damien Lewis of 'Band of Brothers' fame.
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 04:42 AM UTC
Haven't seen that one and unfortunately it's not in the Blockbuster online availability. Will keep an eye out for it, I see Ioann Gruffud is in it too and I like both him and Lewis.

I agree, Hollywood jams movies up more than makes them right anymore. Too much in love with themselves have they become (man, that sounded like a Yoda type quote lol) instead of being in love with telling the story. They're too damned self-important anymore and the stuff they put out is mainly garbage anymore.
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 12, 2006 - 04:57 PM UTC
IIRC I've seen it stated that Rommel was a Party Member, though I can't find anything definite at the moment, like his membership number. Party member or not, he was commander of the Fuhrer Begleit unit in 1939 and used his access to Hitler as a stepping-stone to divisional command in 1940.
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
Posted: Monday, June 12, 2006 - 05:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

IIRC I've seen it stated that Rommel was a Party Member, though I can't find anything definite at the moment, like his membership number.

Actually, Rommel's quite famous for not having been a party member, but he had a lot of regard for Hitler. In addition to commanding the Führer Begleit, Rommel was also at one time head of training for the Hitler Jugend. Both these posts would have been reserved not just for good soldiers, but for men of acceptable ideaology.