_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Paint Stirrer cheap
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 04, 2006 - 01:49 AM UTC
Just a heads up for those looking for a cheap paint stirrer, stop by your local Dollar Tree store and head to the kitchen utensils section. The wife and I were in ours today and I found a nice little motorized (battery operated) drink stirrer. Comes with a stand and the stirrer has a little whisk on it. Picked it up for a dollar and checked it out, works pretty darned good and for a buck ya can't go wrong. I know this place is a chain and usually carries similar if not the same stuff, so check it out if there's one near you.

Also picked up a nice little 6x8 cutting board, hefty little piece of wood which would be great for cutting PE and if you needed one, a possible base. Hope that helps someone!
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 04, 2006 - 05:38 AM UTC
The dollar store - another good reason to go. I know it sound embarassing to admit you go to the dollar store - but hey - its cheap.
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 04, 2006 - 06:05 AM UTC
I have no pride. lol Heck, the dollar stores now are carrying some pretty decent stuff, not the junk they used to especially for model supplies. Picked up quite a few things for the supply stash there. Got some netting (cheese cloth), foam boards (big ones for a buck a pop) etc. Going to the dollar store in the south is like going to Redneck Rodeo Dr.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 04, 2006 - 05:01 PM UTC
I now have lunch plans - me and the Dollar General
droseman
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 82 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 05:24 PM UTC
Nice to know that the cheap shop phenomenon is not just over here - we have Pound shops, which is a similar principle, but that would be a $1.80 shop, so yours are better value :-)
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 05:38 PM UTC
I guess I have no pride either. Always hit Dollar Tree and Big Lots looking for modeling stuff. They had a boatload of ESCI kits at Big Lots once for about $5 a pop. That was in the pre-mega stash days so I only bought a couple.
Today I would probably buy them all... :-) :-)

Shaun
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 01:10 AM UTC
[quote]and I found a nice little motorized (battery operated) drink stirrer. {/quote]

Talk about bone idle!

Nah mate, paint stirring can be very tedious, especially when you want to crack on with the job!
jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,267 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 02:52 PM UTC
That is cheap but is it not a little fast as the one we have in the kitchen is designed to make frothy coffee, a job that it does well.
I have a piece of brass rod, bent at the base to a little triangle, which I have mounted in an old modelling drill that I kept after buying a new one.
It fits in all of the containers from Tamiya, Humbrol, Model Master and the likes and is controlled by the speed controller on the power supply.

I just give it a spin to clean it in a small jar half filled with cellulose thinners.

The only problem is to check the speed setting before starting if you have used anything to drill or polish at any speed, or it does a good version of a mini volcano, after which you find out just how far paint can fly.

John
tankysgal1
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
entire network: 1,430 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 10:44 PM UTC
AHHHHH the Dollar Store. Be noted...the Dollar Store is a bit diffrent than the Dollar General..lol....Memories of home
 _GOTOTOP