_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: IPMS
Topics about IPMS (International Plastic Modeler's Society).
IPMS Nats questions
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3,172 Posts
KitMaker Network: 612 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 02, 2006 - 12:44 AM UTC
I plan on entering in the upcoming IPMS Nats in August I have some questions

#1 Are what-if entries allowed? Are they a seperate category? I plan on making an M4A2E8 Sherman with a Pershing Turret Will be in 3rd Armored division markings

What do the judges look for beyond glue spots,seams,paint job,decal blending in etc

Thanks for any answers
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 02, 2006 - 02:21 AM UTC
Yes - there is a separate Hypotheticals Category. Usually attracts both interesting ideas and skillfully executed models - and can be fun if well attended.

Speaking from my experience as a National Judge, I key on the most obvious of the "Basics" (Seams, Glue, Gaps, Alignment, Fingerprints, Sloppy Putty Work, Paint Finishes & Unpainted Parts, Decaling Problems, etc) whenever I look at a model - judging or not. I'm highly critical - but not brutal. At least I don't think so - you'd have to ask Al LaFleche if that's true or not...

You will do well if you take a hard look at your entries - and not ask a buddy to look at it. A critical eye goes far in spotting an oddity that a judge will notice and wonder about.

You can't build a model that's going to satisify everyone's sense of style and taste - but you can build a model that's technically sound and well put together. That gets you noticed - which is what you want...
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3,172 Posts
KitMaker Network: 612 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 02, 2006 - 02:57 AM UTC
Thanks Jim
 _GOTOTOP