TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Dark Blue World
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
entire network: 2,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 613 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 10:24 PM UTC
Just rented this movie on DVD and gonna watch it tonight. Anyone seen it?
HauntedPen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 34 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 06:28 AM UTC
I enjoyed it enough to rent it twice (something I don't do very often.)

I'm not sure how accurate it is, and the story itself is somewhat depressing although well written, I thought.

The air combat scenes were well done and had one elemnt in them that I don't recall seeing in almost any other WW2 air combat film: when the fighters opened fire you saw the spent casings being ejected from under the wings! A small detail, I know, but having seen it for thefirst time it really added an extra touch of realism for me.

I know--I'm easy to please.

Steve K
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 08:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The air combat scenes were well done and had one elemnt in them that I don't recall seeing in almost any other WW2 air combat film: when the fighters opened fire you saw the spent casings being ejected from under the wings!

Hi Guys,

That is a nice touch, impressive.

I think of the movie as similar to Pearl Harbor--mainly a poignant chick-flick with a good aerial and military story within. All the same, I would watch it again.
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
entire network: 2,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 613 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 12:45 PM UTC
I really liked it. The air combat scenes are beautifully shot. In fact all the flying shots are great. This is a good example of how modern technology can be applied to tell a good war story. The SFX (eg: the shell casings and fantastic sound) are just enough to convince without taking over the movie. It looked like they used real Spits and Heinkels, though the 109s looked like P40s to me.

It is a rather tragic tale, and underlines the fact that the end of WW2 didn't mean freedom for everyone.

All Battle of Britain fans should see this.
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
entire network: 5,653 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 03:29 PM UTC
Hi all!

I have this DVD and I like the movie. I agree it's some sort of "European" Pearl Harbor but reducing it to this comparison wouldn't do the movie justice.
The real Spitfires used are sometimes late war variants but this is only nitpicking. I guess it's hard to get a dozen of early Spitfires to do combat scenes with the budget of a non-Hollywoodian movie.
I also liked the scenes on the ground (RAF base) and my favorite is the "Bicycle training" in the fields!

Jean-Luc