TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Battle of the Bulge on DVD Monday!!
darreng
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 789 Posts
KitMaker Network: 66 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 10:32 PM UTC
Hi guys, my all time favourite War movie is released on DVD on Monday. I has 17 minutes of additional footage, I can't wait!!!
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 10:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi guys, my all time favourite War movie is released on DVD on Monday. I has 17 minutes of additional footage, I can't wait!!!

The 17 minutes is a disclaimer that nothing like what you're about to see ever happened. :-)
darreng
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 10:48 PM UTC
I always thought that even tho it's a feature film, it does have a truthful feel about it!
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 10:54 PM UTC
Thanks for the early afternoon chuckle Al.

Shaun

/Loves the burning barrels scene...
//Highly recommends the movie "Battleground" instead
darreng
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 10:59 PM UTC
Actually the burning barrels scene is based on truth! Battleground is a good movie, but I prefer Battle of the Bulge!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 11:15 PM UTC
Well not to insult your taste chief, but this ranks as one of the worst WW2 movies ever in my book. Historical accuracy was thrown out the window . Sure a lot of things are correct, but just like the Pearl Harbor movie with Affleck in it, or Titanic, it is ficticious using a historical event as a backdrop. Stick to greats like TORA TORA TORA< Longest Day, and Battle of Britain.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 11:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The 17 minutes is a disclaimer that nothing like what you're about to see ever happened.

I like it!. Sums up my feelings on the movie, and gave me a nice laugh.

ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 01:38 AM UTC
I have never come across in any of my research where US troops destroyed Tiger tanks (that's what they are supposed to be in the movie) with rolling burning drums of fuel. There are plenty of instances where US troops burned their dumps to avoid it falling into enemy hands and even made flaming roadblocks, but none I can find to attack tanks.
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 01:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The 17 minutes is a disclaimer that nothing like what you're about to see ever happened.

Very good.. :-) :-) I literally groan whenever I see this movie listed in the guide. Now "Battleground", that one I will stay up late on a worknight to watch...."I found a home in the Army..."...(LOL).

Mike

darreng
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 01:56 AM UTC
So am I the only person on the planet to like this movie?
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 1,966 Posts
KitMaker Network: 297 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 02:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No you're not Darren. Over the years I have read just about every book on the Bulge I could get my hands on, and though I may not be a Steve Zaloga I still feel I know a good bit about the battle. Despite the movie's inaccuracies (and there are many!!) I still enjoy watching it. I think this largely stems from memories of sitting and watching it with my dad as a kid, back when the movie was still pretty new.

Cheers,
Mike

P.S. your line was good for a laugh Al! :-)
darreng
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 02:16 AM UTC
Well thanx Kelley, good to see someone else who likes the movie!
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 02:24 AM UTC

FYI, for those of you in the U.S who have Sam's Club memberships I just got back from there and they have a two disc edition of Patton, and another of Tora, Tora, Tora. Along with a single CD that has both Battleground and Batlle Cry. The prices were pretty decent.

grimreaper
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 417 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 02:51 AM UTC
Personally, I like the sound track and Charlie Bronson's character, but beyond that it's all Hollywood.

Al, you never cease to crack me up! :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
Best regards,
Gary
Shado1
Visit this Community
Tochigi-ken, Japan / 日本
entire network: 211 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 03, 2006 - 10:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You are not alone! I've always loved this movie, screw the inaccuracies! And the M47 is one of my favorite AFVs, so I'm more than happy to accept them playing the roles of Tiger IIs. If I can accept George C. Scott in the role of Patton, why can't I accept an M47 in the role of a Tiger II? Sure, a Panzer Gray Tiger II (whoops!), but still...

Of course the historical accuracy of events is way, way off in the film, but the scroll did explain that the movie was simply based on actual historical events, and that it was an attempt to capture the spirit of the battle and the men who fought it. Fair enough, if you ask me!

By the way, this film came out on Warner Brothers DVD here in Japan early in 2005, complete with extra footage, a documentary, staff interviews, and original trailers.
For those concerned with the authenticity of the vehicles used in the film, it's interesting to note that the director (or was it the producer?) goes out of his way to mention how all the tanks were "actual WWII tanks used in the battle, gathered from locations all around Europe." Although I love the film and accept the M47s as Tiger IIs, that statement is actually is pretty funny!
Was he just lying, misguided, or was he just talking about the M24 Chaffees? It's possible a few of them saw action in the war!

Anyway, the bottom line is that the film is literally crawling with tanks, which to me is always a good thing.