Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Visiting the UK and Normandy - seeking advice
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 884 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2006 - 06:19 PM UTC
My wife and I are planning another trip tp the UK next spring, we are planning on shooting across the channel to visit Normandy for a few days. My hope is to visit the beaches, Carentan and surrounding area. I am seeking advice on the Normandy trip. What things would be the most important to see? How much time should I allow for the visit? Should I rent a car in France, or do the tunnnel? I figure we will be there for 4-5 days... Would love some ideas and travel ideas...

Thanks
Paul
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 12:58 PM UTC
Hi, hope you have a good trip, I believe there is a company that does organised coach trips to the beaches and relative museums cant remember their name Im sure someone will post it.i visit France quite a bit and would reccomend hireing a car,enjoy France its a beautiful country.
RedLeg
Visit this Community
entire network: 746 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 07:44 PM UTC
Hi Hope you enjoy Your Holidays I work Down on Dover docks and there is a coach operator there that does Battle field tours they might be of interest to you Leger hope this helps a bit

redleg
Snowhand
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,066 Posts
KitMaker Network: 324 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 08:37 PM UTC
in 1984, I visited Normandy with my parents. We stayed on a camping in Bayeux, and were able to visit everything from there very easily.

Off course, you want to see where the action was on D-day, and you won't be disappointed.

But a personal tip from me: Visit the Bayeux Cathedral and the tapestry exhibit.

The Bayeux tapestry is about 200 ft long, 1 ft high and describes the invasion of England by William the conqueror in 1066.
Javlin813
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 05:53 AM UTC
Hi Paul,

I got back from my first visit to Europe at the end of April. While in Normandy we stayed in Bayeux, which is a good location for easy access to much of the D-Day sites.

To tour the landing beaches, we took a full day tour of the American sector with a company this company : [url=http://d-daybeaches.com[/url] It was a small group (about 8 people at most) with an English speaking guide (actually he was an Irishman named Ed not to mention he was quite knowledgable, informative and humorous.) There are a lot of tour services so look around and see what's best for you.

If you visit Utah beach, be sure to stop at the Roosevelt Cafe. It was originally a German radio bunker and then an American radio bunker. The entire restaurant is loaded with WWII artifacts. They don't advertise the bunker, which is also recreated, but if you buy something and then ask them about it you can tour it. Quite interesting. There is also a "Veterans Room" where WWII can sign the bar or a table or somewhere -one table is a Band of Brothers table.

Hope this helps. If there is anything I can help you with or clarify, don't hessitate to contact me.

Scott
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 03:43 PM UTC
Thank you for your responses, I have been looking at your links, and taking them into consideration. I am interested in the Roosevelt Cafe, that seems a very interesting palce, I like some of those off the beaten path type things.

Have any of you had expirence driving the chunnle? I have had plenty of driving expirence in the UK, learned one thing, don't drive in London! LOL's...

We are planning our trip to as a self driving tour, I was really wondering what the best laid plans would be to leave England to cross to Normandy? By that I mean would it be better to drive, train, ferry, other? I am looking for the most economical and convient way to plan the trip. Our trip will include time in London, the southeast, and southwest of England then Normandy. If anyoine else has been there could you tell me of your expirences?

Thanks again,

Paul
John-B
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 163 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 12:26 AM UTC
Paul, I think 5 days in France is too short especially if you want to take in some Museums and suchlike.

I can’t advise what car hire charges are but that’s one option once you land in France (beware of them trying to pull a fast one and try to charge you for ‘car damage’ and Police speed trap tickets though!)

Travelling from the UK across the North Sea can be expensive but at present you can get across to Dunkirk for £19 each way with Norfolk Line (http://travel.norfolkline.com) or Speed Ferries (http://www.speedferries.com) for about £35-50 each way. Most ferries use the Northern route which is why they are cheap, the Western route will get you to Normandy direct but its costly.

You don’t drive the Chunnel, you drive your vehicle onto a train and sit there and wait, it takes about half an hour before you’re unloaded on the other side.

Apart from the Normandy Beaches there are several Museums to choose from, like the Brussels Tank Museum (Belgium), another at Novion Porcien (Ardennes)(http://uk.franceguide.com/magazine/article.asp?idc=11098) and probably the best of all – Saumur Tank Museum (http://www.musee-des-blindes.asso.fr/) (Or http://www.warmuseums.nl/gal/100gal.htm) in the French Loire.

Close to Saumur is the Museum of Maurice Dufresne near Azay-le-Rideau (http://www.france4families.com/Loire/RegionsLoireMuseums.htm)

And the Cadillac Museum closeby ( http://www.loirevalley-tours.com/usa/edifice.asp?code_edi=mus_cadillac)

And don’t forget the Troglodyte Village at Rochemenier – magical place!

(http://troglody.club.fr/troglodyte_carte_routiere.html) & (http://troglody.club.fr/troglodyte_photos.html)

Have you made any definite plans yet? A friend of mine living in France has often taken myself and parties down to Saumur Tank Museum from the UK. He can also offer accommodation at his base close to Alencon.

If you need any more information do not hesitate to ask.

Regards, John-B
MAFVA Information Officer
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 10:35 AM UTC
Paul,

As I understand, you were in need of a "baggage boy???" I, Sir, am available and only a few short hours from you?

In my 10 years in Germany, I never made it that way. However, were I to go that route, and any way to work it out, DO A TUNNEL!!!!! That would have to be AWSOME!!! Sounds like John has an "in" in this. I'd definitly contact him. I hope you guys have a LOT of fun. Bring back many a picture and "spread the wealth!" (errrr, make us jealous).

See you on the 10th my friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike (++) (++)
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 02:37 PM UTC
John, thank you for your respones that is the information I was looking for. I'm afraid that my time is limited. I would love to stay much longer and do a tour of France, so would my SWMBO. I feel fortunate that I will be getting the time I am. My goal, that is, the must see for me are the beaches, the XYZ complex, the farm of Robert Cole's Bayonet charge took place, Carentan, and some of the other area's related to the 506th and 502nd of the 101st Airborne. I have been fortunate to meet a couple of these guys, I would really like to walk in their footsteps. They have put a strong influence in my life... A small way to honor them, and to bring to life their stories... Thanks again and I will be in-touch with you.

Mike, am I to understand that you would like to be my bagage boy? I think you better check with SWMBO first... She might not approve! LOL's See you in a few days!

As a side note: I hope to get together with a few of our UK members while I am in England... An evening at the pub for a couple of pints! You boys sure know good strong ale, and better yet GOOD single malt scotch!
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 03, 2006 - 10:53 PM UTC
Paul, If you take the cherburg ferry you can drive down to portsmouth, some interesting warships down there and H.M.S. Victory once in france your right on the beaches.while your in Normany you must try the Calvados and the local cider, serious brews in fact Ive one bottle of their cider left and Im going to strain it and have a couple right now.
philseidelin
Visit this Community
Paris, France
entire network: 16 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2006 - 06:37 AM UTC
Paul,
Having visited the Normandy beaches several times, I think you can do much in 5 days.
If I were you, I'd start around Caen, visit the British beaches first (Sword, Juno, Gold + Pegasus bridge), then move on to the American sector (Omaha, Utah + Sainte-Mère Eglise) and finish with Carentan & St Lô (+ Bayeux if you have the time, it’s a very nice city and there’s the cathedral someone else here has already spoken about).
There is a ferry coming from England in Ouistreham in the beginning of the British sector.
By following the coast like that, you’re sure to see all the interesting Atlantic wall batteries, the artificial harbors and the main museums (Ouistreham, Vierville, Ste Mère Eglise...) and cemeteries (at least, visit the American one behind Omaha).
I think it's better to do the tour by yourself. With a good book or two, you'll be able to choose what you prefer to see and you won’t waste any time.
There are good hotels all along the way.
It’s difficult to give a quick overview but if you have specific questions, don’t hesitate to ask, I’ll do my best to help (I also have several books that you might want the references to, as, for example, the books called battle zone Normandy from Sutton publishing. I have the one about Omaha beach, containing 100 pages about the battle on Omaha itself and about 80 pages of Omaha beach battlefield tour guide. It’s excellent. In the same series, they also have one about Utah, one about each of the British beaches, one about the battle for St Lô, one about the Falaise pocket and many others. Their web-site is www.suttonpublishing.co.uk.
Philippe
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2006 - 02:29 PM UTC
Thank you Philippe, thats the best I have heard yet! My trip won't be until spring of next year which will give me plenty of time to ask you questions. I am waiting on a book to arrive should be here in the next couple of days... Have you been to the Carentan area? I'm interested in the new museum...

Paul
Kinggeorges
Visit this Community
Barcelona, Spain / España
entire network: 1,380 Posts
KitMaker Network: 115 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 12:53 AM UTC
hi Paul,

Every thing have been said and philippe gave you good advices.
So enjoy your trip as france is a beautiful country.
Maybee you could ask at the "office de tourisme" the place to visit if you have time left.
Best regards,
Julien
philseidelin
Visit this Community
Paris, France
entire network: 16 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 05:26 AM UTC
Hi Paul,
I have been to the Carentan area but have not visited the museum there. As you will discover, the Normandy beaches and the battlefields behind are relatively close to each-other so you'll have plenty of time to cruise around.
If you're more interested in the US sector, I'd recommend to spend more time around Ste -Mère Eglise (don’t forget to visit the airborne museum there) Bayeux (there is also a museum there) and the Cotentin peninsula around Ste-Mère Eglise & Valognes to see the "boccage" (hedgerows) where the GI's fought hard.
You must also visit the Vierville museum (Omaha beach).
Don’t forget to stop in Isigny (between Carentan & Bayeux) to buy some caramels. It's the local specialty and I don’t know any other place where they make them better (take the ones made with salt butter, delicious!!).
Don’t hesitate to ask questions as you go on with the planning. I have a lot of books where there might be some good answers.

Best regards
Philippe