_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Resin casting
trabanino
Visit this Community
Guatemala
entire network: 83 Posts
KitMaker Network: 26 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 02:28 AM UTC
Hi everyone, Ok, i have a questions , what kind of rein you use for castin, you use this alumilite or you use other one, i really donīt know what kind of resin use for casting, cause the alumilitie is a bit expensive, Thankīs.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 03:14 AM UTC
Alumalite will work. I prefer a product that I get from a company here in California named Vagabond. I get the XXX Slow Casting resin. You will find that no resin is really cheap. Vagabond's isn't too bad though. Here is their website:

Vagabond Corporation.

I also use their GI-1000 RTV rubber for my molds.
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 05:21 AM UTC
I use Smooth On products. You can buy a starter kit for the making the molds and the resin for casting the parts for around $ 30.00 US

Here is a link to the company.

http://smoothon.com/Getting%20Started.asp
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 03:32 PM UTC
Currently using Micro-Mark brand.Like the RTV a lot.Resin is OK,not very much room for error on mix proportions.Good speed.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 03:39 PM UTC
http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=82084

Here is an example of a set from Micromark
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 6,705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,084 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 03:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi everyone, Ok, i have a questions , what kind of rein you use for castin, you use this alumilite or you use other one, i really donīt know what kind of resin use for casting, cause the alumilitie is a bit expensive, Thankīs.

Whichever resin product that you choose to use, mate, make sure that you research the process before diving into your first casting...it's by no means a complicated deal, but there are precautions to take (GOOD VENTILATION, to name one!) and since neither the resin nor the RTV is cheap, you should really have some good reference materials to study before-hand so you won't be discouraged by a first bad attempt...
~Gunny
trabanino
Visit this Community
Guatemala
entire network: 83 Posts
KitMaker Network: 26 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2006 - 10:43 PM UTC
Thankīs guys, iīll make a little research to find out wich one will be the best for me. And Gunny thankīs for the advice, i usually wear my mask and gloves when use toxic products. Thankīs again and happy modelling.
 _GOTOTOP