_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
What to build?
WingTzun
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 853 Posts
KitMaker Network: 182 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 04:54 AM UTC
It seems that there is a recurring theme going on. So many of us are returning to our hobby after some time away. My question then is:
What would be a good kit to build, armor, plane or even ship that would be good for those of us returning to cut our teeth on and still get some experience with new things like photo-etch without getting scared off?
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 06:04 AM UTC
Best bet to ease back into the hobby would be to get an older Tamiya kit with descent fit; the M41 Walker Bulldog, some of their older German subjects, or '80s armor would be good. You can get simple PE sets from Eduard called Zoom sets that have minor additions like engine screens and a few other small PE items. Once you are comfortable with these, you can graduate to full PE sets, Dragon 3-in-1 kits with metal barrels and PE, or try your hand at resin conversions.

Good luck and happy modeling.
kevinb120
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,349 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 08:38 AM UTC
I would probably do armor, easy to airbrush and weather, and the pe parts are relatively simple. Or you can make yourself insane with thousands of pieces of PE on a 1/350 modern aircraft carrier....
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 09:03 AM UTC
I know how you feel. I jut took up prop driven aircraft again after a 23 year hiatus. For armor, a lot of older kits aren't bad, but if you're going to get one, get a reasonably good one. I always like to recommend the M4A1 Sherman and M47, both from Italeri. Personally, I found the M41 a disappointment, but that was many years ago. For more modern, you can't go wrong with the Tamiya T-55. Not many parts, and about 98% accurate. It was in the discunt bin today at Hobby Lobby. DML kits are great, but the number or parts might put you off.
For planes, I was also in a HobbyTown today, and the prices for the high tech kits are ridiculous. $100 for the old Grand Slam Bomber? I'd opt for an old Revell or Esci kit, just to get my hand back in the game of seam filling, checking dihedral, etc...
They're still cheap, but accurate enough you won''t think "airbrush practice" once you're done.
kevinb120
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,349 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 19, 2006 - 12:56 AM UTC
well for my 1.350 Nimitz I have 84 aircraft that each get about 30 decals, landing gear doors, refuling probes, full pylons, tailhooks and ordinance even antennas, not too mention the ship down to the windshield wipers.... And there are others adding ejection seats and insrument panels to thiers! I had to put mine aside for a little while after a year of working on it. Check out Kelly Quirk's Nimitz in progress, its awesome

airwing:
http://www.shipmodels.info/mwphpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7494

main ship progress:
http://www.shipmodels.info/mwphpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6931

And another build by Cyrus tan that borders on insanity:
http://www.shipmodels.info/mwphpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5067

And some pics of my humble attempt:
http://www.shipmodels.info/mwphpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6105

Modern carrier kits are not for the faint of heart :-)
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,183 Posts
KitMaker Network: 496 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 19, 2006 - 01:38 AM UTC
I'd have to say Tamiya as well. Maybe a jeep or a duece and a half. Fun and quick builds. My second build after coming back to the hobby (I won't go in to the first) was Italeri's DUKW. Another simple build that I'd recommend.
peacekeeper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 715 Posts
KitMaker Network: 401 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 19, 2006 - 02:06 AM UTC
For the sheer fun of it, as well as the possibilities, try a Tamiya LRDG Chevrolet. Still one of their better kits, and still available all over the place
thedutchie
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,299 Posts
KitMaker Network: 347 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 19, 2006 - 03:27 AM UTC
I would go with any of the new Trumpeter kits. Either the Sturer Emil or any of the KV1 or 2 kits. They are great kits and can be built fast. There is a kit here in the armor section that was built in about 8 hrs or so.

HTH

BM2
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,361 Posts
KitMaker Network: 327 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 19, 2006 - 08:48 AM UTC
My only suggestion would be to build a subject that you have a great interest in with plenty of documentation - this should help keep you interested in the build! Good luck.
WingTzun
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 09:19 AM UTC
Thanks for all the ideas. Here is my plan of attack. I think the first thing I actually build is going to be the Revell/Monogram P-51D Snap together with my 6 yeard old son and see if the modeling gene got past on. :-) Then I'm going to build the Tamiya LRDG Chevrolet for the Club Med Campaign and the Pather II for the Meow Campaign. Just hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew...
thedutchie
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,299 Posts
KitMaker Network: 347 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 10:16 PM UTC
David:

Just enjoy your builds.
WingTzun
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, May 26, 2006 - 08:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sounds like an awesome idea Dave, I envy you, my son is only four years old, and even though he loves watching, I'm going to wait a little longer before attempting to build something with him.

Good Luck to you too Ken. I also have a 3 yr. old son that can't sit still. I would be happy if he would just sit & watch. Maybe I'll try & drag their 3 older sisters into it & make it a family affair.

Quoted Text

Just enjoy your builds.

You said it Brian. That should be modelings "Prime Directive".

_GOTOTOP