_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Sad old models
BM2
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,361 Posts
KitMaker Network: 327 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 15, 2006 - 08:53 PM UTC
I was recently given 2 large boxes of old models - built. These were assembled with no paint in most cases and put together with tube glue- almost all the canopies have glue on them and there is glue all over the seams - these are old kits and I would like to save some of them or at least use them for spares. Any body know how to break the tube glue bond without melting the plastic - how do you remove 10 yr old testors enamel? Any help will be appreciated
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,602 Posts
KitMaker Network: 447 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 15, 2006 - 09:47 PM UTC
Old testors paint can be removed by break fluid. Soak the kits and then wipe them off with a cloth followed by a tooth pick for around details. You will need to really wash them with soapy water before repainting.

If you soak the kits in the stuff for 2 or 3 hours testors tube glue will soften and you should be able to get the parts apart.
For the glue smeared on the outside and left on the joints you will probably have to sand or scrape it off.

good luck with them.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 15, 2006 - 10:19 PM UTC
Paint can be removed by spraying the kit liberally with oven cleaner (I use Easy Off fume free). Place the kit in a large ziplock bag and allow it to set overnight. The next day, scrub with an old toothbrush. You can use round toothpicks to get the gunk from in between the crevices. Be careful to wear rubber gloves when handling the kit coated in oven cleaner.

Old tube glue is best removed by freezing it. It will become brittle and easier to break apart at the seams.
majorme
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 687 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 12:09 AM UTC
I agree with robin about the paint. oven cleaner is the best stuff for the job.

robin, how did you get the idea of freezing the paint? did you ever put a model in the freezer or something #:-) lol.

gr. martijn
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 12:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I agree with robin about the paint. oven cleaner is the best stuff for the job.

robin, how did you get the idea of freezing the paint? did you ever put a model in the freezer or something #:-) lol.

gr. martijn

Stored old kits in an outdoor shed at my parent's house in Vermont (very cold New England state known for snow and skiing). When I went to retrieve them one winter I found many ancient tube glued kits started to crack and the glue was extremely brittle.
kevinb120
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,349 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 07:23 PM UTC
I would probably just use them for airbrush practice myself...
 _GOTOTOP