_GOTOBOTTOM
User Support
Having a problem with the site? Post it here.
Post not appearing (help!)
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
entire network: 2,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 613 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 11:55 AM UTC
I just posted a comment in the thread started by Frank Amato (GSPatton) about over weathering. It did not appear, so I hit 'back' and resubmitted. Got a 'DUPLICATE POST' message, but the post doesn't appear. This happened twice more, so I closed the browser, reopened and returned to Armorama. Post still didn't appear. Tried posting again, but got the same above message. What's up?

EDIT: OK, I rephrased the post slightly and reposted, and now it appears. But the original post still hasn't.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 03:45 PM UTC
Two thoughts and they are just thoughts...

1. The initial page was cached and not refreshed after your post so you didn't see it? Not sure....
2. After the Duplicate post message maybe a status got set on the first one that made it invisible?...

I'm glad you got the 3rd try in.. I'm sure Jim will see this thread and either let you know what went wront or he'll fix the problem....
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 04:12 PM UTC
David, there is now a mechanism in place to try and prevent duplicate posts. Your original message was too similar in word count and composition to the message in front of it, so was automatically deleted most probably. When you changed it's composition, the message got through. If it happens again, just change one or two words and it will be ok.

Vinnie
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
entire network: 2,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 613 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 07:23 PM UTC
Since I was finally able to post, it doesn't matter, but just for Jim's info, let me clarify:

Scott, I refreshed several times and even closed and reopened the browser.

Vinnie, my post (which didn't appear) was quite different to the one that preceded it, which was by Jazza. I had added a qualifier to my initial text (which I had copied), so then it finally avoided the DUPLICATE POST clause. Still doesn't explain what happened to the original post.

BTW, the latter didn't appear in my posts column either. Like it didn't exist.

Anyway, just to let the management know...
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 07:56 PM UTC
Thankyou David. We do now.

Vinnie
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 08:11 AM UTC
I think I fixed this now so that it will only look at the prior message in the same topic by the user posting (not compairing it to the message by another user). I guess I figured the likelyhood of a message with the exact same number of characters was pretty low probability.

Let me know if anything else similar happens.

Cheers,
Jim
 _GOTOTOP