History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Suggestions...
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 851 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2003 - 02:54 PM UTC
I have just finished "An Army At Dawn" and I must say that I cannot wait until 2005 (?) for the second installment of the Liberation Trilogy. Anyway, while I am waiting, can anyone suggest a good book. It should be on the European (including Russia) Theater of operations (WW2 of course). I enjoyed Rick Atkinsons writing style so that may be one "qualifier". That you for your help,
Andrew

SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2003 - 07:39 PM UTC
If you haven't read band of brothers, then it's a good read.

I am also reading Panzer Aces, not bad either.
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 02:43 AM UTC
Thanks for the suggestion but I guess I should have mentioned that I have read most of Stephen Ambroses books including BOB. Tell me more about Panzer Aces...
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 10:07 AM UTC
Come on.....
Where are all of the usual guys that I talk to in this forum?
I am stumped.
Andrew

m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 10:12 AM UTC
I have read "Panzer Aces" It was a good book. This is the description from Amazon.com:

Quoted Text

Editorial Reviews
Book Description
PANZER TANK CREWS–the most feared fighting men on earth

On September 1, 1939, Germany invaded Poland and ignited World War II with a revolutionary fighting force that would forever change the face of war. The key to blitzkrieg–“lightning war”–was large scale deployment of Panzers, German armored tanks. Aided by the tremendous air power of deadly screaming Stukas, Panzer battalions attacked swiftly, violently, smashing through enemy lines, destroying supplies and artillery positions, and shattering the enemy’s will to resist. The sheer scale of rapid-fire victories amazed the world and elevated the tank soldiers to an almost mythical status.

Panzer Aces chronicles the battles of six decorated officers who helped create the legend. Based on extensive research, these gripping narratives of D day at Normandy, the bloody campaigns in Italy, the ferocious combat at Kursk–the greatest armored battle in the history of war–and many others offer resounding evidence of how the armored tank, in German hands, became the twentieth century’s single most important development in land fighting.

HTH
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 11:40 AM UTC
Is the writing style good or is the book simply a plain narrative?
Thanks,
Andrew

m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 11:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is the writing style good or is the book simply a plain narrative?
Thanks,
Andrew

It's been awhile, but I believe it's a good writing style.
Trackjam
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 831 Posts
KitMaker Network: 210 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 11:55 AM UTC
Read 'Meeting of Generals' by Tony Foster. Not a novel but a review of the lives of the author's father, BGen Foster who commanded the 7th Canadian Infantry Brigade and Kurt Meyer, the Commander of the 12th SS Panzer Division. Not a novel but a good yarn anyway.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 06:36 PM UTC
Oh, you can try read the series of Brotherhood of War by W.E.B. Griffin, very nice written book as well, cover an epic story from WW II to Vietnam of 3 to 4 officers.
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 02:46 AM UTC
sounds interesting, tell me more...
Andrew

Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 01:21 PM UTC
Well if you really get bored like I did go buy "Black Hawk Down".This actually turned out to be one of the best books I have ever read because it cleared up a lot of mis-conceptions I felt about this particular operation.I highly suggest it to anyone who thinks they can read it.
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 03:04 AM UTC
Thanks Zach for the recommendation. I actually saw an A&E special on the Blackhawk Down operation, quite interesting.
Andrew

sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 06:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well if you really get bored like I did go buy "Black Hawk Down".This actually turned out to be one of the best books I have ever read because it cleared up a lot of mis-conceptions I felt about this particular operation.I highly suggest it to anyone who thinks they can read it.

Any minor innaccuracies aside, it's a great book and very well-written.

It would be a nice change of pace from all the WWII stuff and may make you start wanting to build some modern subjects too.

I'd like to read his other book, 'Killing Pablo', too. About the hunt for drug lord Pablo Escobar.

Steve
Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 07:19 AM UTC
For anyone that has no previous military credentials before,Mark Bowden did a spectacular job describing the Battle for the Black Sea.I was surprised at the end of the book in the epilogue at how much information he initially did NOT recieve from the Pentagon at the beginning.

But enough about that or else I'll ruin the book for those who havent had the opportunity to read it yet. #:-)
Hawkeye
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 701 Posts
KitMaker Network: 58 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 06:41 AM UTC
Both of the volumes of "Panzer Aces" are well worth reading,especially the careers of Nicolussi Von Leck and kurt knispel.Another you might consider is "Hells Gate" by Doug Nash.That is about the Cherkassy/Korsun pocket and is a superb read.If neither of those grab your attention then i would also recommend "Barbarossa" by Alan Clarke for a well rounded view of the entire Russo/German conflict or "It Never Snows in September" by Robert J Kershaw.That is about the German side of Operation Market Garden and is very good,possible the best book on the German reaction to the Market Garden Operation.

Hope these give you some food for thought?

Later
Hawkeye
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 07:39 AM UTC
Thanks for all of the suggestions, so many books, very little time.
Thanks again,
Andrew