History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
What if Hitler had been killed?
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 725 Posts
KitMaker Network: 320 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 11:52 AM UTC
Here we go again!

What do you think would have happened if the attempt on Hitler's life would have been successful?

Who would take the helm?

Would Germany surrender right away or fight for a peace?

What would be the boundries/conditions of a peace agreement?

Just trying to start some good discussion!
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 07:25 PM UTC
I think this could be one of the "what ifs" in history, but probably one that is unanswerable. A lot would depend on how any coup was handled. It's possible that Hitler could be killed, and the coup still fail. If that happened it might possibly be "business as usual." I'm not sure who would have taken over from Hitler, probably Goering, but Himler or Goebles, (sp?) might have tried to grab power also. If the coup had succeded and all of the top officials were arrested or killed, then there may have at least been offers made to the western powers for a negotiated peace. At that point I'm not sure how well the Allied promise of no seperate peace between the powers would have held up. I can personally see Churhill being all in favor of settling with the Germans, and allowing them to continue the fight agaist the Russians. I can't see Roosevelt doing that though.

kurgan
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 34 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 06:24 PM UTC
hi hellbent1
just finished reading a very interesting book called" disaster at d-day" by peter tsouras.the book deals with what may have happened had the allies been defeated and the end of the book has the people plotting to kill hitler replacing him with rommel who was evidently their choice for chancellor. That , of course, would have been if rommel had't been implicated in the plot to kill hitler , and forced to commit suicide.interesting to think how germany would have gone under his leadership and whether or not the allies would have accepted him.
best wishes
kurgan
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 1,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 265 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 08:46 PM UTC
I also read "Disaster at D-Day", not too lng after it came out. Very interesting "what if" scenario and I felt farily plausible. The change or slightly different outcome of a couple of key events, (such as Rommel NOT having gone home for his wife's birthday) , and perhaps everything turns out very differently. Very interesting to wonder how likely or how close that scenario came to happening.

Tom
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
entire network: 2,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 613 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 09:02 PM UTC
I think it unlikely that Rommel would have been the people's choice. While he was certainly a popular general, his superhero status was largely a post-war phenomenon. Far more likely to have been a reinstated Hess.