_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Iwata HP-C Plus anyone?!
Kahuna
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
entire network: 82 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 08, 2006 - 12:03 PM UTC
Hello!
Is there anyone here who uses this Airbrush?
I'm thinking of buying it ( I can't find the Eclipse HP-CS in stock ), but I'm afraid I'll find out that it is too delicate. It costs a lot, and I don’t want to buy it only to find out that it cant spray large area's effectively enough.

Thanks a lot!!

Ori
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,901 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 08, 2006 - 02:43 PM UTC
Hi Ori,

I have the HP-B and it is too delicate for most of my uses, I tend to thin out my acrylic paints by 50 to 80% and still have difficulties with a constant flow of paint, it just gets clogged too quickly. Used with enamels, it would probably work better, as it is an artists tools meant to be used with artists inks. The HP-C is a bit bigger and uses (I think) a larger tip and needle, both of which should make it more usable than the HP-B.

The other consideration is the expense of the replacement tip and needle. My Passche VLS dual action, cost me $6 and $7 for the needle and tip. The HP-B replacement tip is around $45 CDN, not cheap!

With this in mind, I would stil suggest that you buy it, the control and build quality of the Iwata airbrushes is second to none, and if used with patience can be very rewarding.

Frank
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 08, 2006 - 02:54 PM UTC
The HP-c (now C plus) is a pretty decent airbrush.... I have used it to paint a couple of towed guns and a HMMWV While still having the ability to do fine lines.

The drawback are some of the Parts the needle sin't bad at about $8-10 but the tip is about $30.......
Kahuna
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
Posted: Monday, May 08, 2006 - 03:21 PM UTC
Thanks a lot!
Frank, is the HP B you've mentioned is the one from the High Performance Series ("plus")?
Matt, I'm more worried about its ability to spray wide areas, in dioramas or AFV's for example, should I be worried about it?
We often willing so much to achieve the thinnest lines possible, that we forget how much wide spraying is important in scale modeling...

Thanks a lot again!

Ori

matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, May 08, 2006 - 04:57 PM UTC
I rarely go back and use my Paasche VL so far the HP-C has been wide enough for me........

Yo might want to go to the HP-CS which you can get the optional .5mm needle & Cap for broader coverage

I would reccomend a Gravity feed as they're so much easier to clean
Kahuna
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
Posted: Monday, May 08, 2006 - 05:57 PM UTC
Cheers Matt!
I'm not sure I understood – is the HP-C+ your current airbrush?
I have the VL as well and I've been using it for two years, but I want to buy something more delicate.
Anyway, are you happy with it?
Any problems I should know about before I'm buying it??

Thanks!

Ori
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, May 08, 2006 - 06:54 PM UTC
I Have a HP-C and a VL I tend to use the HP-C more... It's fine enough for my use as of now If you were thinking of replacing the VL (and only wanted 1 brush) I'd prolly go with the HP-C Plus as it will allow you to put in a bigger .5mm needle as an option the HP-CS has a slightly finer needle (stock in it) with the option to go to the .5mm as well.
kevinb120
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,349 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 12, 2006 - 06:44 AM UTC
you could always buy a badger 350 for clear coats, base coverage and primers for about 30 bucks for any larger jobs....
 _GOTOTOP