_GOTOBOTTOM
User Support
Having a problem with the site? Post it here.
Gallery: medium sized pics?
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 5,435 Posts
KitMaker Network: 454 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 10:51 PM UTC
Hi all,

I've got a question about the gallery. I've always used the "copy to clipboard" buttons because they make it very easy and quick to post pics in the forums.

However, lately when I view a gallery and click a tumb, I get to see a medium sized image instead of the full size image. I can see the full size image in a pop-up screen when I click the medium sized image.

This is not really a problem but the "copy to clipboard" function doesn't work good now anymore: the button gives you the link for the medium sized image, not the full size image you've uploaded.

I want to post my images in the size in which I've uploaded them, for instance 700x525 pixel, not a medium size 500x350 pixel image.

I hope I made the problem clear....any ideas how to solve it? I can't find any settings where I can chance this

Thanks,
Martin
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 11:22 PM UTC
Martin, use the copy to clipboard in the normal fasion, and then just remove the medium from the pasted line. Please remember not to make them wider than the screen as it makes viewing them difficult.

Vinnie
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 11:42 PM UTC
Vinnie,

I already found that out but still I miss the ease of just ctrl+c / ctrl+v

The funny thing is this only happends with new pics I post. Old pics which were already in my gallery do appear full size and do have the good link in the bar...

Martin
Teacher
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 11:45 PM UTC
That's because we have more functionality with the new gallery, and it's easier technically now, for the editors........
:-)

Vinnie
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 11:51 PM UTC
Ok, so basicly there's nothing I can do about this?

Martin
Teacher
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 12:17 AM UTC
I refer the honorable gentleman to the answer previously given............

Vinnie
Anonymous
entire network: 260 Posts
KitMaker Network: 205 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 12:32 AM UTC
Dude...what's with the 'tude?

The gallery is working exactly as I have set it up to work. If you want to post images larger than the medium default (450 pixels in either width or height) you are going to need to use one of the techniques mentioned.

The fact of the matter is that I have now allowed people to upload images MUCH larger than the 750 pixel max prior to now and this was the trade-off for that. I had an idea for making it possible to simply post the medium image in the gallery and then allow users to click on the image to see the full-size image, but that is a future project. Until then there is no easy solution for this. I AM NOT going to make it easy for people to post 20+ potenitally LARGE image in the gallery when that is an obvious drain on the server every time a user clicks on that thread.

This is actually a bit like the government trying to get fewer people to drive gas-guzzling cars I know, but why is it that an example image and a link to more images in a personal album in your gallery is not the MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better way to go?? Just asking? :-)

Cheers,
Jim

PS: And please don't bring up the "yeah but then they would have to be logged in on the gallery site thing...." Doh....
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 12:33 AM UTC
And yes that was me....
Martinnnn
Visit this Community