_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Pin Vise/Dremel Tool Beginner's Question
FNG
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 92 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 09:51 PM UTC
Please tell me about a Pin Vise. Also, some suggestions on Rotary Tools, which model, why? Just some general info, I'm back in the hobby after 30yrs., and getting set up again. Have a Dio. in progress and am beginning the Figs., need to pin the feet. I have never used a pin vise, and am not familiar with them, but do have to drill tiny holes. Thanks for the Help, J.C.
WingTzun
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 853 Posts
KitMaker Network: 182 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 10:35 PM UTC
Personally I like Dremel rotary tools. Since we spend so much on this hooby already my advice would be to get something that you can use for more than just modeling needs. I'm in the same boat you are & spending a small fortune just resupplying.

Like Ken said, shop the internet. I found this site pretty reasonable:

http://www.tylertool.com/drempowtool1.html
I like Dremel 400 Series XPR high performance rotary tool kit because I think I can find a lot of use for all the extra's but it's a bit of $$. I'm still shopping for a pin vise too.
I'ld be interested to hear back on your decision.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 10:58 PM UTC
When looking at rotary tools make sure it's variable speed so you can get low RPMs. If it's too fast you will melt the plastic and get all sorts of plastic spiderwebs.

As for pin vises you use these for small delicate work where a rotary would be overkill.

For me one tool is not a substitute for the other
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
entire network: 970 Posts
KitMaker Network: 160 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 01:13 AM UTC
I agree with Alan. A Dremel or similar is nice to have but not vital IMHO. A pin vise will however come in VERY useful. There are loads around and they are pretty cheap. Probably better to spend a bit more on a pack of different sized bits
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 07:11 AM UTC
I have a Dremel, and I have a couple of pin vises, like this one... Micro-Mark pin vise from Micro-Mark. I can tell you that I use the pin vise on every model I do, in several different ways...gun tubes, for anchoring figures, port holes on ships, etc, etc. It is an indispensible tool. The Dremel I use to stir paint..slowly of course...hardly for anything else. I think you'd be much better off investing in a pin vise.

Mike

FNG
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 92 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 11:00 AM UTC
Thanks for all the responses! Ken, you sold me on a pin vise, Shermies Rule, good point, one is not a substitute for the other. OK, I'll get Both. Can always use the dremel around the house also. I've been wanting one for awhile, and just haven't purchased one. I have a good friend that swears by'em{He's not a modeler}. Again thanks for All the Info, Lots more questions to come, J.C.
 _GOTOTOP