Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
An appropiate time for modeling??
raysrdr
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 21 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 09:06 PM UTC
Hello everyone,
I started modeling planes in my early teens but stoped when I entered high school. I'm a former US Marine grunt, 83'-87', w/ 2 deployments to the western Pacific. I traveled to many countries and had a blast on liberty and in the field(bush). I considered myself a "field-Marine" and a gung-ho rifle squad leader. I demanded lot of myself and my squad. After leaving the Marines, a still regret to this day, I remain patriotic as ever.
I went on to college and civillian work. Then in 2000, after more than a 20yr absence, I returned to modeling planes, helos and several dioramas.
In 2003 when the Iraq War started, my pace of modeling began to slow down. Right now I'm at a complete stop. It does'nt feel right building models, comfortably at home, while young men/women are serving their country, being lost in the war or are coming home w/ missing limbs. Do'nt get me wrong...I not a war protestor nor do I have misgivings about the war. I beleive a democratic/free Iraq will benefit the region, our interests and the Iraqi people.
Are these feelings of guilt or what. I don't know what to make of it. Any other modelers out there that feel the same? That is...is this the time to be modeling?
Semper Fi
markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 09:13 PM UTC
I guess another way to look at it would be that your are modeling to honor the soldiers that are fighting, dying and being injured, but I may be off base?
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 09:22 PM UTC
I still build military models and I have been in some sort of military service since 1982 with the last 19 years on active duty.

And if you are feeling guilty, click on the following link and navigate to the "Support our Troops" link. You will see how to send modeling support to troops in theater: http://www.ipmsusa.org/.
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 1,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 265 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 09:32 PM UTC
First of all welcome to the site. You'll find this is a terrific group of people who love the hobby and enjoy sharing what they know.

While it is certainly not required, there are a lot of people on this site, world wide, with various military experience, current or past. I think that modeling is a great connection to that experience. In my case, I enjoy building vehicles I've been around during the 30 years I was in the Army.

Because of Federal law, I was forced to retire in June of 2002, when I reached 30 years commissioned service. While serving is generally something best suited for those on the younger end of the spectrum, I felt then that I still had a lot to offer and that retiring just 9 months after 9/11 was somehow breaking the faith with my comarades.

It's been 4 years and there has not only been no let up in the requirements for mobiliztion time among Reservists, there is no sign that any changes are even being discussed.

Do I miss it, and feel that I should be applying all the things I learned over 30 years at the exact time my country could use that the most? You bet. But there comes a time for all of us when it's right to step aside and let those we've trained take the lead.

Does NOT modelling because you can and others cannot ,help defeat the threat to our country posed by those whose stated goal is the complete destruction of our way of life? Not really. While the guilt that comes from being able to do things that others are sacrificng their time and MORE to provide you is normal, it doesn't change things.

Were you to ask any of those deployed about it, I'm betting that they'd all say that they are doing what they are doing, just so that you CAN enjoy the benefits of living provided and guaranteed by that sacrifice.

You did your share. Be proud.

And if you still feel that you're not doing enough, there are things you can do to "support the troops" beyond putting a magnet on the back of your car.

Are you near a VA hospital? Perhaps some there might enjoy learing how to capture THEIR experiences through modeling.

Semper Fi

Tom
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 11:43 PM UTC
I would assume from your dates of service you are my age if not two or three years younger. I can certainly feel your pain coming back to modeling after 20 years. Perhaps it would help ease your mind if you came back into the service. I came back into SF after 18 years because of 9/11. There had also been a twelve year break in service while I fattened myself up and then did three years in FA. Age can be waived, and depending upon what you want (the ARMY PA program, for instance) ANYTHING can be waived-height/weight standards, age, and in the case of a good friend of mine, perhaps mental disability as well.
Another good friend of mine got a direct commission into the Utah Guard at 41, which required special dispensation. That fact that she is a former Miss Olympia might have helped her case.
That same unit has a company in your state, near LA. It's a Special Forces Company if you're interested. They even have a few former Gyrenes.
As far as your modeling question, I'm sure a lot of modelers would agree, if not now, when? As for service, my feeling is, if not me, who?
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 3,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 453 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 05, 2006 - 12:06 AM UTC
Like Rob, I am curently serving in the Guard and have a long 14+ year career and more to go.

I know exactly how you feel. More so that my Brigade went to Iraq last year and unfortuanetly they didn't need my MOS, so my section had to stay behind.

And like Mark said, I model my modern subject to honor my brothers and sisters that are over there since I didn't go with them. And as Rob said, you can show your support by sending them kit's. Just recently my self and another military member here (PFC Matt Reich form Ft. Hood) went to the San Antonio show in Frebruary in uniform and collected over 100 kits and $65 and sent them to the Bagram Hobby Club in Afghanistan. Where the guys upset because I was at home going to shows and building kits? HELL NO! They were glad to even get the supply replinished and were very greatful!

So see Ray, there is nothing to feel guilty about.
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 725 Posts
KitMaker Network: 320 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 12:38 PM UTC
From one Jarhead to another SEMPER FI! It's always great to meet another gyrene as we are in short supply everywhere!

I am from the "New Corps" 99'-03' and being in 1st Mar Div I lost some good friends. ( and are still losing them) We are a poorer country without those fine young men!

I have come to peace by living my life as they would have lived. I try to live my life as if my friends could come back for 5 minutes. How would they talk to or treat thier spouse? How would they celebrate a birthday or family get-together? What would they do with their free time? What would they give to sit through chemistry class at good ol' KSU?

It is thoughts like this that motovate me to live a better and more productive life! I enjoy modeling because I see it as an honor to take the time and effort to learn about the subject I am modeling and as a form of respect to those who paid the ultimate price by doing the best that I can on a piece. I know that this can sound cliche' but I believe this is why most of us choose to model what we do: out of respect! We toil in plastic in order to remember the struggles and sacrifices of our brothers and forefathers; not to forget!