_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Any paint thinner that is really odor free?
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 12:57 AM UTC
I only use acryilcs mainly because of the smell. Anything else and I get a headache and my wife doesn't like the strong smell. When I airbrush I thin with water, or window clearner. I do use the Testors airbrush cleaner to clean the airbrush, but I do that out doors because it's so strong. About the only thing I still use thinner for is for washes, along with oil paints. I have some thinner that the can says is "odor free" but it's still got a pretty strong smell. The can also says it's a mineral spirit. I suspect that's because they want to make sure people don't mistake it for something harmless. Even this stuff gives me a headache and gets SWMBOs rath. Does anybody know a thinner that I could use to clean the airbrush, and use with oil paints for washes, that is really ordor free? Or at least has a very mild odor?
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 01:46 AM UTC
Rodger,
Not sure which brand of paint you use, but I have used isopropyl alcohol for thinning Tamyia acrylics.. Almost no odour there... And I have to agree with rodders, get yourself a good mask.. Itll go a long way...

Dave
markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 03:05 AM UTC
Rodger,

I use both enamels and acrylics. I have found that Simple Green works for me to clean the airbrush after spraying either. It will work for cleaning but no good for doing a wash etc.
Best thing is the stuff doesnt smell bad at all.
BM2
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,361 Posts
KitMaker Network: 327 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 03:42 AM UTC
see if your local art store carries this-

Grumbacher Pre-Tested Odorless Thinner - Size: 2-1/2 oz. (74ml)
GRU565-2
$5.15 $3.86 At Rex! Save 25%

This is a mild select thinner for oil colors and mediums. It improves flow and is excellent for cleaning brushes. It is less toxic than turpentine, dries less rapidly and works well with Damar and alkyd resins.

there is also Winsor & Newton Sansodor - very low odor!
jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,267 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 04:19 AM UTC
Dave,

The thinner you use has to be handled with an awful lot of caution and you need a specific respirator that deals with this type of chemical.
I mention this because foolishly taking shortcuts a number of years ago, used the mask I felt would work without checking and found myself to be anaesthetised and it taking six weeks to fully clear my system. I have to admit I now go to the expense of buying Tamiya thinners.

John
EMT5911
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 152 Posts
KitMaker Network: 61 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 06:26 PM UTC
Real simple solution: Turpenoid I use the stuff called odorless turpenoid by weber its in a blue/white can a little expensive put well worth it. I get mine at AC Moore or Michaels arts and crafts and if you ask for a coupon its almost a guaranteed 40% off

Z.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 05, 2006 - 08:40 AM UTC
Thanks to all. My biggest issue is my wife. I swear her nose is so sensitive she would give a bloodhound a run for it's money. I can be in our bedroom, with the window wide open, fan on blowing to the outside, and she can walk in the front door and smell anything I'm working with.

I just discovered I have some low oder brush cleaner for oil pants, I think it might be windsor and newton, that isn't bad at all, though a bit pricey.

I'm going to print this thread out and check out the stores, long as I can open something up before I buy it to see what it smells like.

_GOTOTOP