_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
handles and grunt rails, how to ?
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 08:37 AM UTC
hye !

I know that many around here make their own handles and grunt rails on tanks.
What do you use to do that ?
Do you use something "hard" like a piano string, or very "soft" like soldiering ?
What diameter do you use ?

dioman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 485 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 09:01 AM UTC
Anytime one of my daughter's toys with a motor in it gets accidentally broken....I take it apart 1st before tossing it away and retrieve the small part that is wrapped with miles of copper wire......1 will do you for a lot of handles on armour....and it works well for other forms of modelling too.....for example....the laces at the neck of my Florian Geyer 1/16th figure in the galleries was relaced with this wire after I did all the alterations.
Sabotshooter
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
entire network: 63 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 09:07 AM UTC
For grunt rails I have found it pretty easy to use brass wire purchased at a hobby shop. Just match up the right size wire and bend it into place. Dioman's suggestion of old copper wiring makes sense also for handles since they are usually smaller than grunt rails. Hope this helps.

Stephen Magee
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 09:09 AM UTC
I've gotten good results using copper wire also. I use various sizes depending on what I want to do. You can buy rolls at the local craft and hobby stores in the beading supplys area. They come in several gauges from very fine to a fairly thick side. a roll of beading wire costs from .99 cents to about $4 depending on what you want. But 1 roll of whatever you need will prob last you forever.
Jock
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 58 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 09:49 AM UTC
Wire! You want wire?? There's a great source right in front of you.Yes,the computer! I pulled a machine out of the trash for my son to take apart and there is a lot of small wire in the thing.Besides the wire you get a great feeling of satisfaction tearing the guts out of the infernal machine. Kahn was right,"vengence is a dish best served cold" So, if you need small wire,get out your screwdrivers and go to work. ONLY use an old machine,..they don't work too good after you've detailed a T34 with their pieces. #:-) JOCK
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 11:39 AM UTC
I keep 18 -34 gauge spools of wire around.Copper ,brass or galvinized steel. when I need to mke handles I take a piece of plastic stripand bed the wire around it. then I take the same strip and drill the hole up agains the strip giving exact dimension of the bends.

Josh Weingarten
aKa shiryon
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
entire network: 1,757 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 11:49 PM UTC
Thank you guys !
I'll go for the "medium soft" copper wire then !
 _GOTOTOP