Trouble with decals?
Dry transfer help needed
insolitus
Visit this Community
Goteborgs och Bohus, Sweden
entire network: 649 Posts
KitMaker Network: 113 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 03:36 PM UTC
Iīm curently building a Yamaha mc from Tamiya, but Iīve got some problems with the dry transfers wich should be on the tires. I canīt get it working, they donīt stick on the tire. This is first time I use dry transfers and I try to follow the instructions given, but Iīm not sure if I understand them. Can someone please tell me how to do it!
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,602 Posts
KitMaker Network: 447 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 05:01 PM UTC
I’m not positive as its been a long time but this is what I remember.
You tape the decal to the model where you want it and then using a slightly dull pencil or ballpoint pen to rub across the back of it pushing down. After you’ve rubbed over the entire decal slowly lift it up starting whit on corner. If you notice it hasn’t ll come off stick it back down and try again.

I think I’ve also heard that they work better after a dullcoat but I’m not sure on that.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 05:08 PM UTC
No to be sarcastic, but the biggest mistake I made using dry transfers the first time I used then was that I expected them to come off of the TOP of the paper they are attached to, like water slide decals do...

In retrospect, I'm not sure how I thought they worked, but I ruined a few by putting them on uspide down and trying to rub them from the sticky back side.

Is the problem the transfers coming off the carrier paper, or getting them to stick to the rubber tire?

Mike
insolitus
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 05:31 PM UTC
Jacob, according to your answer it seems like I just have to do it more properly, hopefully thatīs the problem. Thanks!

Mike, I thought exactly like you first when I saw the transfers, but then I noticed how it should be. Now is the problem that they donīt stick on the tire.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 10:14 PM UTC
One of the companies came out with a set of tire decals that were a little usual. Unfortunately it's been many years since I was into car models, but their tire decals had the appearance of dry transfers, but in reality were water transfer.

The way they worked --- you removed the backing paper just like a dry transfer, and laid them where you wanted them, they were very slightly tacky, just like a dry transfer, after you had them positioned, you put a drop or two of water on the backing sheet, and waited for the decal to separate. The sheet came off, and you had your lettering without any clear decal film.

I really do not remember it if was Tamyias' or Hasagawa that did this method.
insolitus
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 10:47 PM UTC
Now thatīs intresting Grumpy cause the instructions said something about a drop of water, perhaps itīs not dry transfers at all...

Thanks for having patience with me guys!
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 10:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I really do not remember it if was Tamyis or Hasagawa that did this method.

Those were the hasegawa series of GT-Pcars , such as the Posche 962 and Jaguar XJR-10, of the late 80's early 90's.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 01:53 AM UTC
Yep, the Jag.... did that kit when it came out... Thanks Al.
Fazer1006
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 234 Posts
KitMaker Network: 64 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 04:01 PM UTC
Hi Andreas,
I saw your tale of woe & I had the same problem with my Tyre Decals. My solution to the decal sticking to the Tyre was to rub round the side wall of the tyre with a degreaser / laquar thinners (Cellouse) before setting the decal down. This gets rid of the mould release coating & making sure that the decal is cut down to the lettering (very carefully) so there is not too much film around it. Soak it as per instructions & let it peel apart & dry off with a cotton bud. After ample drying time, coat the whole side wall with a very thin layer of matt coat of your choice! (This seals the decal & matts down the tyre nicely) I have had no trouble with this method & have built a number of these bikes. So good luck & if you need any info, please PM me.
Regards
Mark
insolitus
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 06:54 PM UTC
Thanks everybody for helping me out! The problem was a mix between bad instructions and me being inexperienced and stupid I think , but now I got it! Whohoo! :-) Thanks again!
james84
Visit this Community
Roma, Italy
entire network: 1,368 Posts
KitMaker Network: 36 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 02:13 AM UTC
I used them twice, the first time was not that succesful...
Cut the transfer and place it on the tyre, with the printed face on the rubber itself.
Then damp it with enough water to make the paper slide off on its own.
I just built two cars, and the place where the transfer were to be placed were smooth enough, so I did not need to apply any gloss paint begore applying the decal. Anyway I covered it with a matt varnish in order to protect it.
Good luck!
 _GOTOTOP