_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
soldering help needed
godfather
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 817 Posts
KitMaker Network: 148 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 01:15 AM UTC
what items do I need to solder PE. I do know that a 30 watt iron with a thin tip is needed but what type of solder (silver etc) and flux should I get? Please be specfic as I have never done this stuff before. thanks.
Vadster
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 987 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 01:36 AM UTC
how about this? get your solder-on
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,602 Posts
KitMaker Network: 447 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 01:48 AM UTC
Try to get normal solder. If I remember correctly silver solder will not melt with a iron plus its to expensive.
Also for doing PE the thinner the coil of solder the better. It will take less heat and not make as much of a mess.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 12:38 AM UTC
Normal solder melts at around 180 degrees and silver solder at around 320 degrees. Solder will flow where the flux is. It will only flow when the 2 parts are at the temperature that the solder melts and only where there is flux.
Position the parts to be soldered and clamp if necessary (take note of the article highlighted ref heat sinks). Aply a small amount of flux to the join (it will flow down the join by capillary action, similar to liquid cement). Apply the soldering iron to the part on top (using the article piece as reference. The iron can be used to "clamp" the piece by the applied pressure.) Give both parts time to heat up to the solders melting point (probably seconds with etched brass), touch the solder to the joint and it will flow down it. As soon as it starts to flow remove the solder wire otherwise you will apply far to much. If it doesn't flow the parts aren't hot enough, wait a while longer and reaply the solder. If it doesn't flow all the way down the join add more flux and re-heat.
If you did use silver solder the etch parts would likely melt before the solder
Low melt solder may be the way to go.
Her's a little something I soldered

HTH
Mal
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 03:09 AM UTC
i found that soldier-it lighters work great... some small sized flux, some acid... ( basicly what you need ot weld wires) and your set to go.. i usualy hold small part with long nose tweezers. usualy the flux will melt in an instant, and it works great.. but isn't usfull when your are soldering around other soldiers because it warms up the metal quite a lot...

Soldier-it lighters are easaly obtainable at canadian tire for about 10 dollars.. when you run out of gas, dont buy hte soldier it refulls... a regular lighter is just as good.

Frank
 _GOTOTOP