History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
RG:An Army at Dawn Chapter 6
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2006 - 05:19 PM UTC
You'd think that for such a small chapter I could have posted this earlier. My excuse, I was actually getting some modeling done. What a concept.

Anyway this is a very short chapter, with not a lot going on. Typical stuff, the Allies are bungling, the Germans are doing a great job of defense, etc, etc, etc. The British, it seems, can't even read a map. This is the end of part Two. Part Three looks to be very interesting, including Kasserine. (If nothing else this book is teaching me how to spell that pass.)

Comments...?
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,171 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 06:37 AM UTC
I shot thru Chapter 6 quickly, my usual complaints.

Based on Tom's questions about air power, I scanned the USAAF history of WW2, first 160 or so pages of volume 2 to be specific, for Torch. Lots of info on aircraft, supply, munitions, and fuel shortages; distances to be flown (remember this is early & we didn't have all sorts of drop tanks); weather & mud; etc. Also discussion of the US doctrine of tying air support to specific ground units.

This could have been covered in summary -- I think the distances vs capability (tactical range) are important to point out. And of course, as a logisitician, I think he has given short shrift to the logistics issues that were also a factor in this campaign.

However, since I'm up into 8 already, I can report the book has taken a turn for the better ....

John
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 1,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 265 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 07:39 PM UTC
It's really a true statement that logistics is what separates the true soldier from the pretender!

Too often the "arm chair" generals move units around all over the map, with NO consideration as to whether they actually CAN make those movements happen.

Rule number 1 that I always would beat my staff over the head with as they were preparing courses of action as part of the MDMP for preparing an OP Plan.

A plan that is not logistically supportable is NOT a plan.

Tom