_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Etch mate
Name_1s_MUD
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2006 - 02:01 AM UTC
Why does an etch-mate photoetch bender cost $65-$75? I'm told they are extremely useful for photoetch, but that price looks excessive for what amounts to a slab of metal.
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
entire network: 970 Posts
KitMaker Network: 160 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2006 - 02:18 AM UTC
I suppose because it's a finely engineered slab of metal

Seriously, I'd agree they are overpriced - however I splashed out on a Hold 'n' Fold, very similar to the Etchmate, and have found it invaluable.

Bottom line - if you use PE regularly they are worth the investment; if you only occasionally go for PE then stick with the tweezers and steel ruler
Spades
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 776 Posts
KitMaker Network: 190 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2006 - 03:09 AM UTC
The etch mate and the hold n fold seem to do exactly the same thing. With the exception that the hold n fold can come, it seems, in smaller variations for a more affordable cost. I think the price for the "bigger" versions are a tad bit out.

Heck, if you have any metal working experience, you might be able to " scratch-build " one for yourself, all that would cost you is some money and time.

WHA-LA !!! Thier, I just saved you 50 bucks. Have fun.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2006 - 03:23 AM UTC
I bought a second hand 4" holdīnīfold and as Graham has said, I also find it invaluable. Its the difference for me, whether I use etch or not. I could never get nice bends with tweezers but now its almost simple.
Depending on what your own plans are, its not a waste .... more of an investment and can make tedious work a little quicker and definately more fun.
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
entire network: 970 Posts
KitMaker Network: 160 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2006 - 03:48 AM UTC
That's the key really. I'd say as a (very rough) rule of thumb, that if you think you're likely to spend more on PE in the future than the tool is going to cost you, then get one. Money well spent in that case
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2006 - 05:07 AM UTC
Machine shop... couple hunks od Aluminum Plate... And Made my Own...... and can make different heads anytime i need to.
Spades
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 776 Posts
KitMaker Network: 190 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2006 - 05:17 AM UTC
SEE !!! You see what I mean about our hobby !!! WE SCRATCH BUILD EVERYTHING !!!!!!!!!!! Look at matt !! He did it,,,,truly.....a lover of the hobby.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2006 - 05:23 AM UTC
I have a 4" hold and fold, a very useful chunk of metal.
Name_1s_MUD
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2006 - 10:35 AM UTC
it's certainly useful... don't get me wrong. I'm just saying someone has got to be able to make these cheaper. It's a slab of machined metal with a vise action. How hard is that to make? I'm sure you could manufacture these things alot cheaper. just my 2 cents.
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2006 - 03:27 PM UTC
Having machined a couple of them on a Manual Milling machine...... They do take a couple hours apiece (depending on complexity) Now, the EM and H&F are done on CNC machines so there's more $$
they're both Anodized... so again more $$ Figure a Good machinist makes atleast $20-30 / hour.........

Yeah, I can seee why there's a Premium on them.... Not to mention i believe one or both of them have some sort of Copyright protection and or a Patent so again, more $$

For Example.... I make a Decent amount as a Design Drafter but I also know what the company Charges our Clients (with all the Overhead figured in) and it's about 5 times what i make an hour.....
Machines , Power and Top of the line PC's and a Nice expensive 3-D modeling / Drafting / CNC programming Software at something like 40-50k Per Seat!!!!!!!!! It gets expensive!!
SlapHead
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 291 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2006 - 04:36 PM UTC
Cough !!!!! Sorry but have to comment a little on that

I would be driving about in a new "hunk" of German metal if it were that easy !!! and cheep to make, splutter !! cough cough...have you SEEN the work in the 5-SPEED for example ??
A HUNK OF ALLOY ??......cough

OK..there are higher costs on the modern Hold&Folds, yes very trure, some reasons in a lighthearted way

Ever tried milling a 'DEAD FLAT' piece of alloy ? (NOT flat to the eye, but "Dead Flat. across all axis, which will be anodised?...you can sing "the TWISTER" as it warps !! (and when I say warp we are talking only a few microns in out tolerances ).
So a large "DEAD FLAT steel plate is made, each tool is bolted to it then its heated and then milled. Now do that with a 14 inch tool
We then have to cut the alloy plate in the large ones under constant flame to keep the temp up because it takes so long to cut such thin edges.

You see, before its hard anodised you can only cut very slowly as the cutting tool will bend the fingers out of "DEAD FLAT". You see, thin fingers are the key to folding metal, (A BASIC PRINCIPLE) ..now we could get into the stress transfer design, so we CAN have these super thin fingers which work better than thick ones or "under-cuts" seen on some earlier types and clones.
If we didnt we would have to use steel and that would push the costs still higher...eeks !!! gets complacated dont it
Now how many CnC machines are there that can do the above ? and also do production work, I can tell you not many.

The anodising is not the "cheep" dressing process either, its the hard one that costs a lot ...to make those super thin eges and long finger (designed on a stress analyser programme BTW!! ) stronger. It forms a hard "Box section" thus allowing higher forces to be transmitted horizontally rather than vertically through the "stepped stress dispersion design" of the fingers (those steps are not on there to make it pretty btw )...

Shall I go on ??

No they are not cheep.....all the features = Multi change process = machine time = costs , I'm surprised we can get it done in the UK and USA....china soon guys (not if I can help it )

If I may, please get some correct info and understanding of the process and costs BEFORE making rather silly comments, or at least understand the products you are looking at....cheers

Alasdair
The Small Shop EU
(EU maker of and designer of the NEW 5-Speed Hold&Fold
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2006 - 04:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

that price looks excessive for what amounts to a slab of metal.

Well, all I can say is $100+ for a resin armor kit is a lot of money for a hunk of resin...

$50+ For a plastic armor kit is a lot of money for a hunk of plastic...

Shall I continue?

I recently bought the 5-Speed Hold n' Fold and for me at least, it is a superbly engineered and highly usegful tool. No, I don't have any connection with Alasdair's business either, but really.....Jim
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2006 - 05:00 PM UTC
I did not machine my own "Etch Mate" on a clunky old Bridgeport but I did make a handy fixture to fold PE with out of a couple pieces of aluminum. Warpage was an issue on the first one. Slowed down and the next one was fine. Not many people on this site have access to the machine tools and software that Matt and I have. I made my fixture to see if I could as much as anything else. I have only used PE about 5 times and I have build a lot of models so I could not and still can't justify the cost of a "store bought" fixture.

Note: Last sentence edited for clarity...

Shaun
Name_1s_MUD
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2006 - 06:08 PM UTC
Easy guys... Jim, your comment about a slab of resin is beside the point. An etch mate is not, i think you would agree, a piece of art. And as far as the milling machine time, that's for one master. Once you have the design right, you could program a milling machine and spread the cost over a greater number of pieces. Economies of scale. I think you would all agree that this is something that could be produced for less than half of that cost in China. It's just my opinion. I also know that a larger company like Illinois Tool Works, Danaher or Textron could make these for single digit dollars if they had to mass produce them. Obviously there is not enough demand for them to produce these things, I'm just surprised at the cost... that's all.
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2006 - 06:44 PM UTC
I'm the type that'd rather build it than Buy it.... Unless it's way out of my Ability range........ Especially if it's somehting i'm not going to use that often.
 _GOTOTOP