MFCA info for newbies
mongo_mel
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,580 Posts
KitMaker Network: 244 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 08:32 PM UTC
Hi,
I was asked by my friend and fellow ArmoramA member Brian Spruyt (BSPRU) to talk a little bit about the upcoming MFCA show.
The Miniature Figure Collectors of America is once again holding their annual show in Valley Forge, Pennsylvania. This year it's on May 5 & 6 and is held at the Valley Forge Convention Center. If you're a relative newcomer to figure painting, and have never been to a dedicated figure show you owe it to yourself to make it out to this show.
For me, it's unlike most any other show I've ever attended. Since I've been going (almost 10 years now) I've never been disappointed. Hundreds and hundreds of excellent figures on display, an amazing vendor area and loads of great people to meet and learn from are the reasons I go back every year.
One of my favorite things has been the chance to listen in when some of the best painters around holds either a formal or better yet informal discussion of their work. Standing in front of their work, with anywhere from a couple to a dozen or more fellow painters gathered around them, they share their techniques for sculpting and painting. Once, one of the painters that regularly comes over from Europe was talking to a couple of us about his latest work. As English wasn’t his first language, sometimes he had a little difficulty getting his ideas across to us. One of the guys gathered around spoke French and before you knew it he was translating to us what was being said. It was quite a unique experience.
Another thing that we did last year and are planning on doing this year is a group photo. We’ve posted a lthread to invite fellow ArmoramA members to stop by and get in on the group photo. It’s a great way to meet in person some of the people that you’ve seen posting on here the site.
So, if you get the chance, please try to come out to the show. I’m betting that you’ll find it worthwhile J
Craig
PS: Here’s a link to the MFCA site for more information…
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzerm67t/id2.html
 _GOTOTOP