_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Liquifying Tamiya Putty
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2006 - 01:00 AM UTC
Ok, I don't mean putting Tamiya putty in a blender and making a wicked smoothie... :-) :-)

I'm looking for a way to make Tamiya putty a bit more liquid, I think improving the viscosity is the correct term? I'm trying to make it a bit more like Mr Surfacer (which isn't available here) so that I can apply it with a brush and thus have a bit more control over its application.

Any suggestions? What would be a suitable base for it? It's going onto a plastic injection mold kit, so I guesse Acetone wouldn't be suitable? It would melt the kit wouldn't it?

TIA

Rudi
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
entire network: 1,871 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2006 - 01:14 AM UTC
I add Tamiya Extra Thin Cement when I want to make the putty more liquid. That said, I have never tried to add so much that I can apply the stuff with a brush.

Erik
jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,267 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2006 - 02:39 AM UTC
Rudi,

Hopefully this may be helpful but why not contact the gent at the supplied link, He is ace at service and supply and if it is possible will not rip you off on pastage I'm sure as he is a modeller as well as selling goods, his reputation is impeccable and he also keeps all three varieties. South Africa is not too far by airmail after all.

http://www.armour-models.co.uk/model_kit_gunze.html

John
Target_J
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 145 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2006 - 05:55 AM UTC
For me usually i just add acetone-free nail polish (Cutex) to the putty and mix it a little. Depending on the amount of Cutex added, the consistency of the putty varies. You can then apply it using a brush, or like what i usually do, use the cotton-buds (some call it Q-tips?) onto small gaps.

I have also seen Mr. Hobby Liquid Putty sold in hobby shops, and these are suitable for very small gaps.
Darson
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 53 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2006 - 06:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

For me usually i just add acetone-free nail polish (Cutex) to the putty and mix it a little. Depending on the amount of Cutex added, the consistency of the putty varies. You can then apply it using a brush, or like what i usually do, use the cotton-buds (some call it Q-tips?) onto small gaps.

I have also seen Mr. Hobby Liquid Putty sold in hobby shops, and these are suitable for very small gaps.

Same for me Cutex Nail Polish remover is great (I also use it for unsticking my fingers after a little too much CA). My normal technique is to apply the putty into the gap then before it dries dip the cotton bud in the Cutex and gently wipe away all excess putty from the model.

Cheers
Darren
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2006 - 10:19 AM UTC
Thanks all,

some great suggestions there. Will try them tonight.

Rudi
 _GOTOTOP