_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
A little late -
BM2
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,361 Posts
KitMaker Network: 327 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 08:43 PM UTC
ve been a member here for awhile but I just realized I don't think I ever posted any info on myself-here goes-
I started building plastic models at about 6 years old and have not stopped for any length of time since. I have changed my focus many times- I started with aircraft - my first model was a jolly green Giant - with my dad's help. Nowadays I build lots of figures and mecha - I always try to incorporate a dio or vignette because I like seeing the subject doing something that relates to it.
I competed a lot when I lived in Norfolk VA. And won my share of awards in the Tidewater competitions -then I won a first at the 1996 IPMS nationals in VA. beach for my sci fi dio "bad water"
I moved to central IL. After leaving the Navy and I dont even have a decent hobby shop in the area! So now I scrounge kits from wherever I can find them - Hobby Lobby (mostly Chinese kits- poor quality) but occasionally I find a Bandai kit or two
After building for nearly 40 years I have been exposed to some fine model builders. I dont really compete any more (kind of tired of the IPMS bias towards armor) but a couple of years ago I won a contest at the Kitbuilders show in Hillside Illinois.
I love to hear about new techniques and to pass along tips and techniques I have been shown- so if you got please share- model building is a constant learning experience and every kit or scratch-build is a chance to expand your bag of tricks.
So after 40 years and about 50 awards later I find the internet a great new source of modeling info - the only problem with the internet is that I miss the good old days when a group of us got together at the local hobby shop to share our stuff you got to know the people and you learned their personality -
The internet does not give you the opportunity to "see" someone’s expression or "hear" their voice. I am trying to gather some people together to form a modeling club - but schedules being what they are in today’s world it is difficult.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 10:42 PM UTC
Welcome Aboard John....
also belated...... :-)
As a side note, I probably met you down at the IPMS Nationals back in 96.
Snowhand
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,066 Posts
KitMaker Network: 324 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2006 - 01:44 AM UTC
Gretings John. I see your modelling interests are as diversified as mine
BM2
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2006 - 06:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Welcome Aboard John....
also belated...... :-)
As a side note, I probably met you down at the IPMS Nationals back in 96.

what did you enter?
WingTzun
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 853 Posts
KitMaker Network: 182 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2006 - 08:28 AM UTC
Hey John, Greetings from Chicagoland.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2006 - 04:47 PM UTC
I haven't entered a contest in years.....
I go and take pictures, spend too much money, and see old friends that I don't see too often.
96 was when I got divorced, left the court, and headed down to VA Beach... had the truck already packed before court..... wasn't going to let a little thing like divorce court hold up my attending the convention.... :-) :-)

BM2
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 09:05 AM UTC
HA HA - sounds about right GOM
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
entire network: 1,941 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 01:39 AM UTC
Welcome John. Please post some pics of your jobs.
 _GOTOTOP