_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Canada
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Tim Hortons in Afghanistan.
DODGE01RT
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 545 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2006 - 09:48 AM UTC
This is just to give us (Canadians) something to talk about.

What do you think of Tim Hortons going into Afghanistan for our troops?

This is not to be a political rant (any of that will be removed).

You can post your opinions but I don't want this to turn into any attacks on anyone thoughts.

Keep it polite and we'll see what others think.

Jim
Trackjam
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 831 Posts
KitMaker Network: 210 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2006 - 05:59 PM UTC
Having just come back from there I can speak with some confidence on the subject. At Christmas everyone got a Christmas package with two large cans of timmies ground coffee. thus we had it for free for the the next six weeks or so. We could get it free from CFPSA in Camp Mirage too. Now with a retal outlet, soldiers will have to pay for it all the time. There are already two retail coffee stores on camp run by
AAFES called Greenbeans. they offer a gourmet coffe such as you could get in a Second Cup. We talked abouut a Timmies throughout Roto 0 but it was a long way from the top of my priority list, with infrastructure and terrain to build it on being very scarce. My guess is that it will go into the board walk area around the sports field.
lavgnr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 338 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2006 - 06:30 PM UTC
As a troop still trying to go over (and put on tours, and taken off tours, and put on tours, and so on... grrr BUT having been to Bosnia, I can remember craving it while over there and heading straight there on my way home. We didn't receive any while over there, that's a very nice program! Nor did we have access to anything but the "dirty dishwater" in our mess and canteen. Freebies never last long, so this will ensure that guys can get their fix for years to come. I doubt that AAFES will suffer for it, as Second Cup and others flourish here in Canada (thank generic higher theological power). Other coalition country members wouldn't understand the connection, except maybe the Americans who have a Burger King and KFC on every base that I can think of!
Long story short(ish), some will love it, some will not care, but if it can make Afghanistan a bit more like home, I'm for it.

On the Timmy's topic- some say that they put nicotine in the coffee. As an ex-smoker, I say nuts to that. It's got to be heroin.

PS- Welcome home, Paul!
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,698 Posts
KitMaker Network: 130 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2006 - 07:27 PM UTC
I think a lot of public (and maybe political) pressure was placed on TH to do this. Considering all they do already for the CF, I thought it was a bit unfair to perhaps push them towards a business decision they were reluctant to do.

I also think someones ego has a lot to play in this. No names, no RSM drill.
merkava8
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 501 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 04:12 AM UTC
I say do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Green beans is to expensive and snooty.
The stuff at Canada House is always empty and just doesn't taste like Timmies. If I was back there still, I'd pay the $1.50 for the taste of home! What would suck would be waiting in line behind all the Woggs that would be there!
Logan
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 523 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 08:48 PM UTC
HI

Just got back from KAF and all I can say is ahhhhhh wonderful Liquid morale

Funny thing seeing UK, US, NL pers walking down the boardwalk sipping on icecaps or in the usual case with the US, carrying boxes of doughnuts :-)

They have a limited selection and the line-ups can be horrendous ... I would never wait 25 mins in 45+C weather for a coffee in Cda but over there it seemed natural .. hahahah

Bloody TB rocket landed about 100 feet from the trailers about a month ago ..

Anyway, good to home ... time to build a kit or three and have a cup of Timmys .. hahaha

Tom
Trackjam
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 831 Posts
KitMaker Network: 210 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 05:45 AM UTC
Tom,
Welcome home! Thanks for the photo. Is that on the south side of the boardwalk and is it all around the sports field now?
Logan
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 523 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 06:35 AM UTC
HI

The funny thing is that all but one corner is complete (may be finished by now??) anyway, it was that one corner that rec'd at least one 107mm TB love rocket ...

lol, the whole boardwalk to hit and it lands on the unfinished part !! haha

They added a small seating area for Timmys ...

Prices are US dollars, US coin only please but coupons accepted at par ... :-)

Probably heading back in Feb so at least I have Timmys to look fwd to.

They went through six weeks of donut dough in a little over two weeks!

Tom
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 12:39 PM UTC
You gotta admit, it's great PR for Tim's! Smart move for them!
 _GOTOTOP