_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
airbrush, enamel painting
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 06:33 PM UTC
Hi everybody. I have a problem. No I didn't drink too much last night. I have recently purchased a Sparmax compressor and airbrush. I do not have all that much experience with airbrushes and have compounded the problem by switching from Tamiya acylic paint to Humbrol enamels. The reason for this switch was that I found the acrylic paint to be drying almost before it was applied here in the Queensland heat. I do like the enamels and enjoyed brush painting with them.

A friend came up from Melbourne for a few days and he mixed up some Olive Drab (66) and gave me some pointers. Some of this premix airbrush paint was left and I decided to finish my GMC-CCKW with #7 set. Half way through I had to mix a new batch of paint. I thought I used the same formula as my mate but the new batch when applied made the model look like fur.

Now my 2 Questions. What have I done wrong? I believe it is me as the first mix was applied OK. Also how do I strip the paint off my model to repaint it?

If any one can help I sure would appreciate it. Oh and by the way Happy New Year to all you modellers out there.

Cliff
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2003 - 12:57 AM UTC
hey.

You can remove paint from plastic with oven cleaner or castrol superclean. ask you friend what ratio of paint to thinner that he used. you problem is prob in the mix if the stuff he made sprayed correctly. Also if it is too hot and the brush is too far away from the model the paint will dry out as its being sprayed on giving a grainy effect.

shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2003 - 05:50 AM UTC
It may be as simple as your measureing being alittle off or not mixing well enough. As was discussed in aprevious thread percentages are fine, but mine due to my eyes might be different than yours try alittle more thinner or alittle less air. sorry can't help with stripping I've always just scrapped the model and started over.

Josh Weingarten
aKa shiryon
 _GOTOTOP