_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling Questions?
Ask your modeling related questions here.
Building the " Betty "
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 715 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 03:39 AM UTC
This will be my progress thread for my Mitsubishi " Betty " bomber. It is the Tamiya 1/48 kit, which is now out of production .
I have built the interior, painted and a given it a couple of washes ( which don't seem to show in the photo ). So far it all fits like a dream, and a test fit into the fuselage seems to suggest the fit there is good as well.
The instructions tell you to paint the interior grey, but from some research it seems all the Betty interiors were painted in green.
I added some Eduard I.J.N belts to the seats as they didn't have any. The cockpit is basically finished as i couldn't find any photos of the interior, so adding pipes and such would have been complete guesswork, so basically i didn't bother.
Comments appreciated and welcome.
Andy (++)

P.S Couldn't take any more photos as the batteries died in my camera
lampie
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 03:22 AM UTC
Looks good Andy.
I guess at the speed youve been building recently theres a chance of this making it to Hinckley :-)
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 01:06 PM UTC
Hi Andi, what green did you use? Ihave WEM's Mitsubishi green which I have been intending to use on my Betty but I'm not sure it's the correct colour. I have read that "bamboo green" (?) is the correct colour, I've also read that RLM02 is a good match but that's nothing like Mitsubishi green
Anyway looking good, it has always looked like it's a good build, what external colours are you doing?
Mal
betheyn
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 05:31 PM UTC
Hi Mal,
The colour i used for the interior is Mr Colors Mitsubishi interior green which i lightened a bit. I then faded it a bit more for the worn areas.
One site i have seen seems to think that bamboo green is the correct colour but IMHO it does seem a little on the bright side ( well the one in my paint stock does :-) ). FS:34226 looks more like the right colour.
The camo and markings i will be doing for the " Betty " will be - Misawa Naval Fighter Group, 2nd Squadron.
Hi Nige,
I have 4 days off so you never know, i might finish in time for Hinckley.
P.S Hope your not working to hard .
Andy (++)
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 08:40 PM UTC
I will be doing the brown and green camo, probably the one in the box....................................looks in box................................................................yep same one H-324. I'm gonna paint on the markings, if I can find out what red to use
Mal
betheyn
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 11:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I will be doing the brown and green camo, probably the one in the box....................................looks in box................................................................yep same one H-324. I'm gonna paint on the markings, if I can find out what red to use
Mal

:-) :-) great minds think alike.
As for the Hinomaru colour, sources tell me either FS:31328 or FS:31086. I will also paint the main markings on, apart from possibly the numbers as i always seem to cock up the stencils doing it .
Andy (++)
betheyn
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 11:57 PM UTC
As i seem to be on a bit of a building frenzy at the moment, here are some more progress pics.
The engines were painted Alclad 2 steel, then the push rods were painted copper. The whole thing was given a black wash and then dry brushed with Alclad 2 burnt metal and finally with white.
Once the cowlings are on you can't see them :-) .

The fuselage has been primed and preshaded.
The wings are not yet glued on as i don't think it will fit in my spray booth fully built. This model is fairly big, behind the right wing is a 50p piece which should show the size of this thing.
As for the fuselage going together, i did have a bit of trouble trying to get it to go together. I had couple of gaps and had to use filler and re scribe a few panel lines. The trouble seems to be the bomb bay which makes assembly awkward. Whether this is a kit fault or my sloppy building :-), i don't know.

Andy (++)
betheyn
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 10:00 PM UTC
Update on my build, which is progressing rather quickly.
The plane has now been sprayed freehand with Mr Color's Mitsubishi Green and Tamiya's flat brown. The underside is sprayed with Alcad 2 Aluminium. The top was then Kleared. It has gone a bit darker then i expected, but the weathering should take care of that.
The undercarriage is now in place.
Next to be done will be the markings, which i will be painting on, and the canopy's.
Andy (++)
lampie
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 01:29 AM UTC
Looking good Andy!
I didnt realise just how big this beastie is.
Have fun with the canopy.
Whats your method for hand painting the markings?
Nige
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 03:41 PM UTC
Gonna be impressive when completed So apart from Fs numbers what red are you using for the meatballs? Engines look good, it's a pity they are lost when the cowlings are on.
I'll give you 10-1 that you brake off thos antenna befor this is finished
Mal
betheyn
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 11:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

So apart from Fs numbers what red are you using for the meatballs?
I'll give you 10-1 that you brake off thos antenna befor this is finished
Mal

Thanks Mal.
The "meatballs" colour, ahh well i erm started with Tamiya flat red, then i put a bit of brown in, then a bit of white and some yellow and basically kept mixing until i got the colour i wanted. Now the good thing is i have a pot of Hinomaru paint :-) .
Yes i broke the antennas off, luckily it was at the join, so they will stay off until completion .

Quoted Text

Whats your method for hand painting the markings

With the Hinomaru i bought a Olga compass cutter which makes cutting circles easy. I use tamiya masking tape stuck to a C.D case, it makes it so much easier to unstick. The rest i just mask ( as they are 2 straight lines). The serial numbers i use the decals because no matter how many times i try i just can't get the stencil right .
Andy (++)
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2006 - 12:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

With the Hinomaru i bought a Olga compass cutter

I thought Olga kept the pigs in line, have you got here on your mind, do you mean an "Olfa"
What, no pics?
Mal
betheyn
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2006 - 01:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

With the Hinomaru i bought a Olga compass cutter

I thought Olga kept the pigs in line, have you got here on your mind, do you mean an "Olfa"
What, no pics?
Mal

Oh yes Olfa thats the one, sorry, had pork for dinner :-) :-) .
I'll post some pics as soon as i wrestle the camera of the Beloved :-)8 :-) .
Andy (++)
betheyn
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2006 - 01:56 AM UTC
Ok as promised some pics. All the markings so far have been painted on, the serial numbers will be the kit decals.
The paint chipping was done with EZ mask. I sprayed Alclad Aluminuim, put on blobs of EZ mask, sprayed the top coat then with my finger and my tweezers peeled the mask off.
Sorry about the pics, it was at 5, oclock in the morning.

Andy (++)
P.S The next update will be the finished build.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2006 - 10:36 PM UTC
'Kin 'ell, 5 o'clock what are you doing, not trying one of Jean-Luc's marathon builds?
looking good, but the meatballs look a little orange, but that could be what the light does at 5 o'clock
I see that you have stolen my mug there can only be one
Mal
betheyn
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2006 - 10:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I see that you have stolen my mug there can only be one
Mal

Well I'll let you have my kids then Super Daddy :-) :-) .
Any way, back to the build, i have finished, here are some pics.
it is definitely a good kit and i enjoyed building it. Comments and criticisms welcome.
thanks, Andy (++)

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2006 - 11:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well I'll let you have my kids then Super Daddy.

Errrrr....................in that case I conceed
Very nice Andy it does look good, do we get to see it at Hinckley, please, please, please
OK you asked for it, but these are based on what I can, or can't see in the pics, 'cos I know from experience that you stuff looks better in the flesh
1. The Hinomaru look a little orange (based on the fact that I haven't a clue what the exact colour is)
2. I think the Hinomaru may be just a tad to faded
3. The exhaust staining starts right at the exhaust mouth. Again not having seen exhaust staining on a real Betty, but I would imagine that, because the exhaust is being blown upwards, by the engine, it would start a little way behind, by the time the air travelling over the wing has brought it into contact with it.
4. I can't make up my mind about the paint chipping effect. The way you have done it is done well, it is just me. It's the same with the "salt technique" (ST) just too random. Your method is much better, in my opinion, than the ST, but still a little too random. As I say this is a personal thing, plus I'm yet to try any alternative method.
These are just very minor points and shouldn't detract from what is an excellant build. I certainly want to get my Betty on the bench
Looking forward to seeing this at Hinckley
Mal
lampie
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2006 - 11:56 PM UTC
Looks great Andy.
Looking forward to seeing it at Hinkcley.Good job your driving a van! My poor kits have been in the boot of the car for 3 days now,in around about way im already on my way to the show.
You could hide your Messerspit under the wing so Mal cant see it :-)
betheyn
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 05:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice Andy it does look good, do we get to see it at Hinckley, please, please, please
OK you asked for it, but these are based on what I can, or can't see in the pics, 'cos I know from experience that you stuff looks better in the flesh
1. The Hinomaru look a little orange (based on the fact that I haven't a clue what the exact colour is)
2. I think the Hinomaru may be just a tad to faded
3. The exhaust staining starts right at the exhaust mouth. Again not having seen exhaust staining on a real Betty, but I would imagine that, because the exhaust is being blown upwards, by the engine, it would start a little way behind, by the time the air travelling over the wing has brought it into contact with it.
4. I can't make up my mind about the paint chipping effect. The way you have done it is done well, it is just me. It's the same with the "salt technique" (ST) just too random. Your method is much better, in my opinion, than the ST, but still a little too random. As I say this is a personal thing, plus I'm yet to try any alternative method.
These are just very minor points and shouldn't detract from what is an excellant build. I certainly want to get my Betty on the bench
Looking forward to seeing this at Hinckley
Mal

Hi Mal, Thanks for your comments, they have been noted and acted upon.
1- The Hinomaru do look more red in the flesh, but i have given them a red filter/wash to try and bring them out a bit.
2- see above :-)
3- Good point, i wasn't supposed to put it that near the openings but i was a bit hamfisted with the MIG pigments. I was trying to put a little in the exhaust openings and managed to get it every where else as well . I'll shall try and clean it up a bit .
4- Its just you :-) . I have yet to perfect a technique as well ( perhaps doing all the techniques at the same time might work). The profile drawing i have of the Betty does show a lot of paint chipping but didn't want to over do it, so i took off a lot less then in the pic i have got. The trouble with Jap planes is that you can't find a lot of good photos, especially colour, so i just try and do my best with what i can find .
I hope to be able to bring the Betty with me to Hinckley as long as i can find a big enough box for it and i don't break the antenna wire again .
Thanks, Andy (++)
almonkey
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,124 Posts
KitMaker Network: 369 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 05:46 PM UTC
only just caught up with this one after seeing the completed pic on the main site.
now for the silly question, i take it that this plane didnt have bomb bay doors fitted, or have i spotted the "deliberate" mistake :-)
betheyn
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 06:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

only just caught up with this one after seeing the completed pic on the main site.
now for the silly question, i take it that this plane didnt have bomb bay doors fitted, or have i spotted the "deliberate mistake :-)

Hi Phil,
No , they didn't have bomb bay doors when they carried bombs. When they carried torpedos they had a sort of panel which went around the torpedo. If it was not carrying anything they had a full panel to go over the bomb bay to help with the streamlining and give it a bit of extra speed .
The reason for the lack of doors was to keep the weight to an absolute minimum so to help with speed and range. it also had no armor, the fuel tanks were unprotected and it rapidly became known as 'the one shot lighter' by US Navy pilots.
Andy
 _GOTOTOP