Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Any house framers here?
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2006 - 06:57 AM UTC
That's 1 to 1 scale. I'm trying to trim a shed in our back yard. I need to cut the end of one piece to the same angle as the inside angle of the the top trim. I can't remember the pitch of the roof. It goes out about 52 inches from the center peak to the edge, and drops about 22 inches in that distance. Does any of that make sense? I saw a framer do this with a carpenter's framing square, and I've got such a square, but I can't for the life of me remember how to do this.

Any tips?

keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2006 - 03:47 PM UTC
No house framer but the angle from the surface of the roof to vertical is 67 degrees. The angle from the surface of the roof to horizontal should be 23 degrees.
I saw someone use one of the squares to do that too and wish I had paid more attention...

Shaun

Tan A=a/b Tan A= 22/52 equals 23 degrees.
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,602 Posts
KitMaker Network: 447 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2006 - 04:30 PM UTC
I am. Let me do the math here.
I’m getting about a 5- 12 pitch I think. Your have to check it.

The pitch is how many inches the roof rises for ever foot it spans. So a 5- 12 pitch raises 5 inches for every foot it spans.

You can use your framing square to find the pitch and then to mark the part simply put the square on it so the 12 on one end of the square and the pitch number on the other line up with the side of the wood. (You can use a bolt and net on both ends of the square te make it easier if you need to mark a few of them.) You can then simply mark your line using the side of the square.

I hope this makes sense to you it early in the morning here. If not just ask.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2006 - 07:44 PM UTC
Thanks Jacob, that's exactly what I had in mind. I couldn't remember how to calculate pitch. That method you described is pretty much how I remember our roofer doing it a few years ago. I'll try it out tonight when I get home.