_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Neglected Models
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2002 - 01:16 PM UTC
I have observed that I have a LOT of neglected models - either unbuilt or half-built. Neglected because I have not started nor finished these kits. Prime example: the PzH2000 which I had hoped to finish this year. But no. The PzH2000 has been eclipsed by the T-34/85 and by my fourth (fifth?) M1. I will always tell myself "You're next PzH" but I tend to buy another kit, or when I do get the PzH ready to build, my interest in it slackens and I don't put any effort in it, save to remove the accumulated dust and check for broken parts. The PzH2000 isn't an overly complexed kit, but I seem tired to continue making it. However, said fatigue does NOT appear when I get a new kit or of a model that I've built before (example, my current M1 - theoretically, I should be just plain bored and tired of building the same subject, but nope).
Anyone here has the same experience? What do you think this happens? Even if I promise meself to build it just OOTB, my interest in a particular kit somehow still slips away and instead I build another one even if that other one isn't built OOTB.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2002 - 01:35 PM UTC
You are not the only one......... I've been yelled at by the other half for buying more kits.
I have promised myself NO more new kits. Unless the deal/purchase is pending or It involves a trade. Maybe I'll actually clear off some of that shelf.....................
#:-) #:-) #:-) #:-)

Matt
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2002 - 02:13 PM UTC
I'm aright ,cause the other half hasn't seen the closet yet...
Kraftstoff
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 93 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2002 - 02:55 PM UTC
Hi all,
I too have many projects that seem to going nowhere...my Afrika Korps VW...my Italeri Puma...my Dragon Armoured Train....my Ju-52....get the picture...
Just to prove that my sickness is complete....I just picked up the Tamiya Marder IIIM....the T-55 will follow and THEN I'm drawing a line in the sand...NO MORE KITS....NO MORE KITS
at least until 2010
Cheers,
Dave
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 01:40 AM UTC
I think the fit and buildability of the kit play into a big part. I know that when I'm building a kit and discover that I need to replace something with an AM part or scratchbuild it, that sometimes takes the steam out of finishing the kit. Same with fit. If I discover I need to roll out tubes of putty to start filling gaps, I'll stop and set the kit aside while the putty dries. Then I work on something else and that project gets neglected.

I try to collect up all the scratch material and aftermarket parts at one time so then I can get a good running start on a project.
basturk
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 212 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 01:49 AM UTC
Got to agree with General Sabot about the fit part. Very often I find myself setting aside a model to wait for the putty to dry and it gets forgotten sitting at one corner of the workbench while i start on other kits!
Up to date ive got about ten to fifteen kits piled up and the worse part is I just cant stop myself buying new kits when I see a good one!
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 02:05 AM UTC
I always find myself wanting to super detail everything and not feeling "ready" to start the project because I don't feel I have all the information I need... In that way I find myself not trying to please myself but the jerk that will always come around and say that color/hatch/uniform is competely off....
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 382 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 02:25 AM UTC
Hi, everyone...my name is, ummm, Chuck...and...I'm, ahhh, umm...a modelholic. I have haven't bought a kit in...ummmm...one day.
MadMeex
Visit this Community
Vaasa, Finland
entire network: 424 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 03:31 AM UTC
For me, it's not even poor fit that seems to relegate a kit to the 'island of misfit model kits' but that I get distracted by the really cool next idea. I find my modelling time to be very limited, so I feel that I need to get maximum cool into the minimum time, and to think of another idea just slides the prior one down on the list. In the last month:

* Thought of a way to display my growing pile of Japanese floatplanes by building a section of a Japanese Cruiser in 1/72. Picked up research material, started planning, etc.
* Working on the Diorama contest, needed better heads, so that project slid till they arrived.
* Conversion of the Russian T-18 into the assault gun variant. Picked up the kit, found some plans, etc.

And at the end of the month what have I accomplished? Several kits unassembled or partly assembled, a bunch of really cool ideas, and discouraged since I can't seem to be able to finish any of them. Whine, whine, whine. Well, since the holidays are over, I'm actually hoping to be able to build some kits over the next few days!

Mika H
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 04:50 AM UTC
I have basically three kits on the to finnish list. My Hemtt, which thanks to Major Rob I now have the missing cargo bed pics( and I also have the update sets from pro art). So it will get a rebuild in 2003. second is my first resin kit, the Resicast sherman flail which is being converted to a MK2 model( think I can handle it now, bad choice to break into resin with). third is the Fuchs NBC vehicle. of course we will need to finnish the exterior of my M109 which I 've taken a break from. welll all in a years work . At least I'm building down the closet.

Josh Weingarten Aka shiryon
barron
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 666 Posts
KitMaker Network: 66 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 04:59 AM UTC
I too have my share of unfinished kits laying around . My other half keeps hounding me to sell them. I DON"T THINK SO! Thats unheard of. My Problem is that I used to compete in every show that I could and after a while I suffered the worst case of burn out that you have ever seen. I am slowly coming back in it again. There will be less shows and more good ole fun.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 05:25 AM UTC
Hi guys ...What usually happens to me is after I finish a project ,I will take out 3 or 4 kits and start cutting pieces off the sprues and test fitting pieces....Until I finf that kit that says ""BUILD ME"....So around here there are alot of kits started but that is normal for me ...Hey guys I'm up to over 200 kits here to build and 2 of my friends are way up there I think 1 is at 800 kits and the other stopped counting at 1000...How many have you got lingering ?? Just remember .....HE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST KITS........WINS!! :-)

Rick
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 382 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 08:36 AM UTC
I've got a SpPz 2 Luchs on the table now, which is an exercise in persistance. The molds must not align right, because I have had to scratch about 60% of the running gear (rods and stabilizer bars), which is a major project with 4 axles to deal with. It seems like I always have so much more to do to get it looking right. I just got my TPz 1 Fuchs kit, with the MR drivers compartment and detail sets, and the Eduard PE. That looks like it will be a fun project. I have actuall considered putting the Luchs away, and starting the Fuchs!

Umm, don't look at the work area back home. I think there are 5 or 6 in "active" status, and about 10 in "maybe one of these days I'll get back to it" status, and another several dozen in the "one of these days" pile/box/corner. But...I can always use more!!

One day I'm gonna build them all. Really.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 02:44 PM UTC
Yeah, I'm Mike and I'm a model-a-holic too..
It's been ummm, a month since I bought any kits....HLJ backorders don't count, right?

i've even ended up putting 10 mid-small cardboard boxes of unbuilt kits into storage this week and making a pre-resolution to finish 2 for every one I start. Finish five before buying any more and finish a resin kit or conversion before buying another.

Living in a smallish apartment with awife, a cat, and a 2yr , now 3yr, old has really cramped my model finishing style..add to that the fact the airbrush and noisy Sears compressor are stored in the closet at the school where I teach ( and airbrush on the odd weekend afternoon) and you've got a recipe for buying a lot more kits than I finish.

I have more kits than I want to count that if I add the next piece they won't fit into the box any longer.
When my son was smaller I could leave things out longer, but had to build in very short time increments. Like " I will finish step 3 and then put things away" sort of building.
Now that he is older, naps less, and is much more interested, I only get out the really serious detailing work after he goes to bed.

We build Gundam models together, and that is hugely fun, don't get me wrong. But a tiny part of me longs for the days when my wife was 6 months pregnant and went to bed at 7:30pm leaving me to model until 11.

Mike
 _GOTOTOP