Militaria Forum
For discussions on a range of topics like reenacting, vehicle restoration, and collecting.
Reenacting: how to get started?
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 5,435 Posts
KitMaker Network: 454 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 01:42 AM UTC
Hi all,

I see all those beautifull collections and photo reports of reenacting events....and I'd really love to participate in such an event once!

However I have no idea how to get started. Is it easy to participate in these events? What things should I keep in mind? Where can I buy equipment? Or don't you have to buy your own stuff? What organizations should I contact for these events? For the Dutch among us: what rules are there with weapons etc?

Any ideas are welcome

Martin
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 01:23 PM UTC
I can't speak for how every group does their recruiting. I know here in the states it varies depending on location and type of unit. I joined a Confederate Infantry company. I filled out an interest sheet at a gun show. About 6 weeks later they gave me a call and invited me to a demonstration. I was invited to participate in some training if I was interested. They also included a friend who accompanied me. We were both taken in. We were told they would lend us equipment until we could purchase our own. Some of the larger groups along the eastern seaboard (I live in Texas) are by special invitation only usually after you've got 2 or 3 years experience. They usually require you to have specified equipment prio r to joing their regiment. I haven't done it in 7 years now, but I still have all my old equipment. It is not cheap and we were portraying a Texas Infantry company where clothing and equipment varied.
janwillem
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
entire network: 1,236 Posts
KitMaker Network: 153 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 01:40 PM UTC
he martin.
Her is a site where they sell geman uniforms reproductions.
http://www.1944militaria.com/
As for wapons, I'll have to ask the guy's at my gun club (yes we do have them in the Netherlands) but it will probebly take a lot of permits and lisenses.
EasyOff
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 289 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 02:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I (I live in Texas) .

Don't you mean Mexico?
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 03:24 PM UTC
Next time you go to a show, try talking to some of the re-enactors, if they are any good, they should be keen to talk to you. I've had some very interesting conversations and learnt all sorts of useless stuff about Pattern 1908 webbing, how uncomfortable British Napoleonic packs are, British cavalry sabres and so on.

I also found this Site
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 03:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

he martin.
Her is a site where they sell geman uniforms reproductions.
http://www.1944militaria.com/
As for wapons, I'll have to ask the guy's at my gun club (yes we do have them in the Netherlands) but it will probebly take a lot of permits and lisenses.

Hi

Very nice site. However I'd like to "play" RM Commando. This is because of my interest in the Battle of the Scheldt and the role the RM Commandos played there during operation Infatuate, the amphibious landings at Walcheren, Holland.

As for the weapons, I already found out a lot about laws etc for weapons in the Netherlands.

So it's now mainly about where to find a club/organization in the Netherlands which deals with commandos? And where to find British commando uniforms etc.

Martin
TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,447 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 10:41 AM UTC
Martin,
I am a Waffen-SS reenactor. If you want to get into reenacting, I will first say, if you dont want to be a loaner, be just a regular unit. Dont pick no commando unit which no on portrays. You will have to do a search and see the units around your area for you to have your final choice. Second off, your never going to do a reenactment of the Walcheren amphibious landings in holland, so dont get your hopes up. Third, gun laws are VERY strict in Netherlands. I have seen reenactment pics from the nethers, and most of the people are using AK47's that you borrow from the government. (not very authentic). Fourth, you have to be willing to pay some BIG $$$$$$$. I have put over $2000 into my impression. Usually german is more expensive than american. Russian is the cheapest, and british is also pretty cheap. But dont go buying your gear till you have found a unit. I recommend you use loaner gear which your unit commander will have for atleast the first event. Hope this helped you out, and hope I didnt discourage you at all. Reenacting is really a blast.
www.1944militaria.com
www.lostbattalions.com
www.reenactorstuff.com
www.landser.com
www.atthefront.com
www.hessenantique.com
www.ostfront.com

If you have anymore questions, feel free to PM me.
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 12:39 PM UTC
Hi mate,

Thanks for your reply!

I did found a Dutch re-enactment group:

No.10 (Inter-Allied) Commando

example pic (from their website, http://www.greenberet.nu)

I'm trying to get in contact with them. I'll also visit the "Bussum Bridgehead" event, may 7th, where this unit probably will be present.

About the $: I guess I just won't buy that 3rd RC tank then huh? Hehe, unlike most of the youth here I don't spend all of my money on parties, beers, cars etc.

Martin
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 02:10 PM UTC
sounds to me like you've found your "Nirvana". I have had a blast when I actively participated. I had one of those real tiny pocket Kodak Instamatics that I would stick in my sackcoat (tunic) pocket. I have some great shots where I just took cross shots of the firing line. Looks like a Don Troiani painting. I used to get killed so I could lie there in the mddle of the field and do it to. Of course weapons for us were no problem as we used blcak powder. I bought an authentic 1863 Springfield rather than a replica. Great fun tearing open paper cartridges with your teeth and pouring the powder dow the tube. After you've been at it a while you get that black drool line down the side of your mouthand of course the grimy face from the smoke. We used to brag about being the dirtiest unit on the field. First Texas YEE_Hiiiiiieeeee ( the rebel yell)
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 03:57 PM UTC
BD and 37 Pattern webbing shouldn't be that hard to get hold of, the Bergens might be a bit harder.