_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Anyone Scratchbuild ships?
Angry_Ensign
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 315 Posts
KitMaker Network: 37 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 04:34 PM UTC
Just wonderin'...

Jeff H.
modelnut4
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2003 - 08:15 AM UTC
Hi Angry Ensign,
I have probably shouldn't. Right now I am researching German Flak Ferries used to offer AA protection for bridges and river crossings. I have one hull built from balsa wood and Elmer's white glue and am working up the courage to build the other one, Then the fun part starts, plating my wooden hulls with plastic sheet to replicate the iron that was the outer hull material. Of course this is one of those long term projects that you turn to when you get snowed in or something of that nature. To complete this behemouth will require no less than another Tamiya 88 Flak, I already have four of the six 20 and 37mm AA units that will also go on. My current need is for some more research data. Any suggestions anyone out there? Anyone have any experience or similar long term boat anchors out there?
Jay
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 07:45 PM UTC
I have. Wasn't accurate, mind you. I did that when I was, what, 15 I guess. It was a wooden sailing ship, a copy of the clipper Cutty Sark. Made up of barbecue sticks, toothpicks, popsicle sticks, kleenex for the sails and the Union Jack, thread. I still have it with me - quite dirty really. Small and no scale at all (didn't know how to do that back then).
After that, I was doing my second ship, a galleon, using the same materials as above, but didn't complete the project - I was 10% complete when I lost interest and time.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 01:10 AM UTC
One of my first scratchbuild projects was a Vietnam brown river patrol boat (Monitor ?).
There's no difference : the techniques are the same for tanks, aircraft carriers, spacecraft. All comes down to the same basics.
There's plenty of reference (and some links) to get you started. I'd be happy to help out if you have specific "how to" questions.
Jan
 _GOTOTOP