_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Kaki Model Malaysia
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Advise for amateur
Achol
Visit this Community
Ipoh, Malaysia
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2006 - 09:03 AM UTC
Dear all,

I had just registerred myself as a new member. Got into this hobby in my teens and first couple of years of my undergrads but has stop for 8 years already since I've started working. However, with more free time nowadays compared to my first few years in my career, I feel like getting back into this. And of getting cash on my won, could better afford to invest in this hobby…although my wife already making some noise

Never tried diorama before, but want to start and would appreciate some advise. Got myself Sheperd Paine book before I found this website / community, well still an excellent book for reference except that some material used aren’t available here I guess.

It seem the author use a lot of Celluclay for the groundworks…how about here, what is the substitute?

How about the paints? My previous years in model building is more for fun, just the basic paintings using the easily available Tamiya, hasengawa etc paints. I’ve read some treads with regard to using different type of paints but again some brands not available here and Sheperd Paine has suggested to use try & error on different type of paints to for washing, drybrushing etc. So I hope someone can give some advise on the right type of paints to purchase (of course easily available brands) for diorama use.

I consider myself beginner, so please try to give advise with some explanations to its. Thanks
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 1,735 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 06:39 AM UTC
A big welcome aboard Shamsul to Armorama and Kaki Model Malaysia. Our boss (moderator) Silantra must be caught up in one of his meetings but I'm sure he'll welcome you shortly.

BTW all our wives grumble if it helps. Now on to dioramas. Getting Shep Paine's book is definitely a good start. But as you find there's always more than one way to approach dioramas.

You'll find in the Feature section here at Armorama (menu at the top, just click Feature) there is a large database for making Dioramas and how to get started. This will be your next best step after which is to decide what the story and what models and figures you wish to use as that will determine the dio size. I would advise you to start small.

I normally work with cheapo plaster used for walls and there is a similar material here to Celluclay sold at Art supply shops. I've used both and still prefer plaster. I've started a thread here at Kaki Model on Scratchbuilding materials and with lots of contribution from other members here should provide you another way to source materials.

You can actually tint your plaster with cheap watercolors to save you on acrylics using Tamiya for highlighting and washes only.

Let us know what are your plans and I'm sure everyone here will be able to chip in.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 07:11 AM UTC
Welcome to the Big A and to Kakimodel shamsul.
just like many of us here, start at young and stop for a while..and then we simply can forget about modelling...

shamsul, maybe u can officially introduce yourself again at this thread
that way, we can refer to the thread for members...

CK, actually i dont have a meeting today but too lazy to work and just having tea with the boss...dont envy me people..hehe

shamsul, as what CK mentioned, u can try to use whatever local resources offer us here... u can visit this thread also :
Scratchbulding database
there are plenty of helpful tips in there if u have the time, read them carefully...or u can ask us here anytime...dont malu2 ...

when i first started back in this hoby, i also was looking for celluclay but getting them from USA is not very economical so i used regular plaster of paris, and in some cases i used wall filler...

for paints, i used gunze sangyo, tamiya and now just trying my skill with vallejo paints...

well, looking forward for your build...

Defender
Visit this Community
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
entire network: 39 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 07:42 AM UTC
Just to add a warm welcome to you Shamsul. I too have the Shepard Paine book on Dioramas, but its not easy to understand what he is saying until we try on our own.

FYI everyone, they do sell Celluclay in Singapore. Its like paper mache actually and I have found wall filler in putty form to be better to contour. My two cents.

Welcome to a great hobby! Now I have to get rid of my golf clubs.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 07:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just to add a warm welcome to you Shamsul. I too have the Shepard Paine book on Dioramas, but its not easy to understand what he is saying until we try on our own.

FYI everyone, they do sell Celluclay in Singapore. Its like paper mache actually and I have found wall filler in putty form to be better to contour. My two cents.

Welcome to a great hobby! Now I have to get rid of my golf clubs.

Hey RIchard,

godd to see you;re back..
how much is celluclay overthere?/ have u try it??
i knew that they are sold and a few weight packaging..
i dont know how long is the shelf life...

moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
entire network: 986 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 07:56 AM UTC
welcome achoi!

eh, macam kenal laaa... you ex-fspu uitm aa?
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 1,735 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 08:00 AM UTC
Boss we have a similar material to Celluclay here-lah. As I mentioned to Shamsul its sold in Art supply shops and its from Japan. RM 12/block was what I paid for it I think. 1 block is aprroximately 15cm x 5 cm. by 2cm.

I used it to give the shape to my Fox Trot Five boat. I still have some but it doesn't last as it will dry up if not stored in an airtight container. Even if it doesn't it will lose its stickiness after a while.
Achol
Visit this Community
Ipoh, Malaysia
entire network: 2 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 08:55 AM UTC
Thanks for the welcomes & tips. I'm still browsing the this website ....its overwhelmed me. Good….love it. But on the negative side, it made me confuse on what to start…..so much to try out

Anyway, I had a look into the scratchbuilding post….very interesting and creative.

I have no definite plans yet for my first dio…..need more time to learn and plan before I cough in more cash for it. Need to be more careful now since I got the news on Sat that I’m going to be a father in Nov. Yup….my first child after 4 years of trying. Yahoo…..finally I did it.

However, I hope this won’t stop me from my hobby.

I do have 5 models, 2 old ones that I got back in the States 5 years back. One of it is the biggest project B-52, worked halfway before I bring it back home….now dumbfounded on how to finish it off because I lost one of its engine!!!. Still searching, maybe have to go back to my kampong to look for it. Not for dio for sure because of its size, wanna hang it in my newborn room later on I guess.

One of the new one I bought is the popular Dragon’s Tiger Tank 1. Nope, not a good idea to start with that one either. So I’m try look for cheap amours model …..so I found few here in Sitiawan (I live and work here) that cost only RM20. Yup I was surprise myself that they sell some models here. As yuo can see, I plan to start with dio that uses tanks. Will let you guys know when I’ve decided.

P.S. Nope, moJimbo…..I’m PURDUE grad, sorry
moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
entire network: 986 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 09:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

P.S. Nope, moJimbo…..I’m PURDUE grad, sorry

err.. sorry, i mistook u for someone else... my apologies.. he he...
p/s: congrats on going to be a dad!
CKLOO
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 64 Posts
KitMaker Network: 50 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2006 - 04:35 AM UTC
A late callout welcome to Shamsul
Sorry to one and all for not participating too much in the happenings here of late due to the recent Armor Competition. Great to know that this little community is growing under the able hands of the Boss-man.

Dioramas are really fun. I agree with Beachbum that you should start small as an experiment. You can be sure of a lot of surprises coming your way especially with regards to the composition of the piece and the construction and finishing to add to your confusion. Historical photos are always a good source of reference. If you are stuck wanting a good dio composition, you could always mimic a good photograph and translate them in 3D. Good luck and do post your progress pics
 _GOTOTOP