Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Army is converting M6 Bradleys back to M2A2
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 2,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 650 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 10:55 AM UTC
Ran across this information tonight. Sounds like Uncle Sam is hurting for M2A2 ODS's.

Army-Technology.com notes that 99 total M6 Linebacker units were delivered to the U.S. Army, and further notes that In February 2005, United Defense (now BAE Systems Land and Armament) was awarded a contract from the US Army's Tank-automotive and Armaments Command to remove the Stinger missile systems from 88 Bradley Linebackers and convert the vehicles to standard M2A2 ODS infantry fighting vehicles by June 2006. Many of the vehicles in this contract represent Phase 2 of that effort.

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 11:57 AM UTC
I think it is more a no-longer needed case than running out of M2A2s. Under the new Modular BDE concept, the ADA Bns are going away in the Divisions. They are being transitioned to CAV SQNs. The ADA is transitioning to all Avenger units at Corps level. Since the Divisional ADA is going away and transitioning to Avenger, no need for M6 Linebackers anymore. Might as well make them back into M2A2s or M3A2s and give them back to the CAV SQNs.
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 07:57 PM UTC
Yeah, what Gino said!

:-)

Good thing Ya know all them technical abbreviations, eh?

WOW!

actually, I think I followed the whole explaination...I think....

Us silly civvies,
Cuhail