_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Holdiay Building?
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 05:10 PM UTC
I took my leisure time (one week down, one to go!) to do quite a bit of building (which accounts for my sparse presence on Armorama!)... here is what I've accomplished so far:

a) built and detailed the Italeri Panther "A" Kit #270 which I purchased at Modelexpo-Online for only $7.00... great investment.!!! Pretty darn nice detail and super variety, considering it is a 1994 release... it was certainly one of the best "fitting" models of Armor I've ever done. Hardly used any filler putty at all, and other than cleaning up a few ejection pin marks, very little touch up was needed!

b) built and detailed 32 (count 'em!) german figures in 1:35 scale for a client project. Several were custom modified for requiried positioning. Added tons of third party and spares box gear, plus some custom work like rifle slings and chin straps.... now I have to paint these suckers!

c) created three new RTV molds of a new hand-built (brick by brick!) coblestone road, stone sidewalk, and hexagon tile patio. (this will appear a digital diamond soon, if Jim get's caught up on all the other backlog of submission I've sent in this past month).

d) Completed the book "Ghost Soldiers" about the rescue of the Bataan Death March prisoners - quite an amazing "real time" story, and highly recommended!

So how bout everyone else... what did you work on, and what did you do?
dioman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 485 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 06:12 PM UTC
I got the DUKW for Christmas finally....they just came in here....g/f was worried she'd have to get something else!!! Now we have all 3 of our kids here and I have no room to start working on it until they leave....i hate to see them go of course....but....it's the DUKW!!!!
I also got an Ultracast figure of a Canadian tanker in the late war pixie suit....standing pointing......I'm now looking for pictures of Canadian DUKW's with someone wearing this suit......I would like to put them together but I'm just not sure til I see a picture. I know I've seen other pics somewhere of guys who weren't tankers wearing them...if anyone can help me out here it would be much appreciated.
Now.....Jan 2nd the last of the kids go home.....and I'm diving into the DUKW with knife and glue!!!!
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 07:01 PM UTC
I finished building my Academy M3A1 tonight. Will paint and weather this week. This little kit is a really neat and easy build. I recomend it to anyone looking for an easy weekend project.

Patrick
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 2,088 Posts
KitMaker Network: 471 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 07:40 PM UTC
i've got a couple, hasegawa M3 grant and Airfix B1 lancaster don't know if i going to do the standard or special.
DaveMan
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 137 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 08:31 PM UTC
Been busy this week. We just had our last big family get together today (Sat) Now I can get back to building. Working on the Hobbycraft Bf 109B-2 for the group build. I have the parts all prepped, and ready to join. (Parting lines smoothed out, pin marks filled etc.) Haven't actually started to build though. Got busy finishing up a guitar for somebody for Christmas, and it went a bit slower than I expected. (I need one less hobby!)

I am also tinkering with a SCUD kit, but I am going to get some more references before I do any more work on it. It's interesting to be building something that keeps making the news. Maybe a diorama with the U.N inspectors, and an Iraqi SCUD launcher would be interesting. Hmmm. (Oh Drat! everytime I dream up a diorama idea, I waste a zillion hours of building time planning out something that never gets finished!)

Happy New Year everybody,
Dave
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 2,832 Posts
KitMaker Network: 680 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 10:18 PM UTC
i went to the zoo...............oh and i got the 1:35 academy uh-60l blackhawk, 1:35 dragon delta force troops, 2 packs of 1:35 dragon us rangers (i plan on doing a mogadishu-somalia diorama) aaaaand i finished my nam dio
TOMCAT14
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
entire network: 312 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 03:33 AM UTC

Well,
My workbench is still "open" - for now I do three cocpits to diferent a/c (F-18 , F4U4 and P-38 ) and one a/c F-20 is waiting for final - busy christmas holiday , and time is running - I try to end F-20 before 31.12.2002 - is only a matter of painting the wheel bays , gears - engine nozel - after this finaly put decals/ wheathering and vernish - is that simple ?...I need RedBull....Where is it ... / Just kidding , but MY Modellers Power sometimes is too small for everything - know this feeling ? Your mind is focus on details , You want do a perfect model ...but Your body doesn't work good , everything colapse ... day by day - But after few days (modeling depresing) you get a power for everything - You Guys have the same ?

Always think right and positive ...
Best Regardus
#:-)
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 05:16 AM UTC
Right now I'm beating the Polar Lights Aurora re-issue of the old Dick Tracy Space Coupe kit into shape. Quick and easy kit that I will paint in an off-white (ivory) color since the yellow it is supposed to be in is sort of bright.

Also on the bench is the Italeri kit of the re-issued Esci 1/72 T-62. I'm using the Eduard PE set with this kit and am at a block since I broke the gun tube. Someone pointed me towards an Armo aluminum barrel and I will look for one locally.

In the on deck circle is an old Revell of Germany 1/72 T-80 that I started many years ago, but never finished. I picked up the Eduard PE set to dress it up and get a fresh start in building it. I also have the Roden IS-3 in 1/72 that looks like it will be a dream to build.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 05:39 AM UTC
I'm buidling a huge hirstarts castle with junior, involving a lot of diorama activity.
I'm getting ready to start building a dio for the sci-fi campaign... :-) :-) :-)
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 06:55 AM UTC
At this moment I`m working on a 1:72 supermarine spitfire from Airfix that I got from Santa
It will feature in a dio where it crashes into a factorychimney somewhere in the ruhr area
The Chimney is almost finished need to scribe in the bricks of the lower part. And I`m rebuilding the rightwing of the plane because with that it crashes through the chimney. And I want to capture the moment where the chimney is at the point of breaking and idem for the wing.
I`m also sitting behind the drawing board to design positions for a whole platoon of British paratroopers for my Arnhem dio where I already have the building for. This dio will also be a big challenge because I`m designing everything myself Including the paratroopers
That`s it now going back to work because I have a awfull lot to do

see ya

merkava8
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 501 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 10:33 AM UTC
I started a Leo C2 conversion. My wife felt sorry for me and gave it to me at the beginning of Christmas break. I go back to work on the 6th so I still have a week to try and finish ONE of my many projects. :-)
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 11:04 AM UTC
It seems that people are doing a lot of conversions. I am building an M48A2 Blade tank from vietnam. It is shaping up very well.

gunnerk19
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
entire network: 354 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 12:03 PM UTC
Still doing my 1:35 M1 Abrams and figures... 'Course, now I've decided to scratchbuild the Driver's hatch and some of the turret interior... kinda difficult to do with only sprue and other various kit parts (lotsa cutting and sanding) No PE or aftermarket parts for me...
Rattler
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 512 Posts
KitMaker Network: 79 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 01:03 PM UTC
howdy Troops,

well as fer Myself I'm still workin on the hobbyfan Nam figures I have.. starting to look like I've got a Bat forming up with all of them 32 all together in verious stages.. and I'm still keepin My fingers crossed that the 35th scale UH from panda is gonna be a good kit.. theses troopers need something to ride around on ya know... also getting ready to start alil construction on a Striker Camp but only vareious parts of it cause of the photos I've got... it also happens to be the Camp My old man served a couple tours out of.. but other then the figures and a 48th 109 Emil ain't been doing much else.. lil bit here lil bit there..

sooo lol I guess I'm holding in there

laters Troops
Chris
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 01:32 PM UTC
I've been spending a little time with the 1/76 Airfix Ambulance from the R.A.F. Emergency Set. Mostly OOB. Also slowly working on my M5 recce conversion. I also need to paint the National Flashes on the Stuart Honey.
cdave
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 545 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 02:03 PM UTC
What am I building over the holidays?????

Well, the few days before the two weeks of the holiday found me into the scanning tunnel machine whereby the Dr's said I had a chipped bone in the base of the neck (yes, I broke my freekin neck). This compulled by a nasty Flu, was the most part of the holiday week #1.

But, not wanting to waste my time I did finish a Cromwell, did major research for a scratch build project on the Sinder Anhäger 56/57, wrote an articel for another web site about the new Etch mate, and started on an Italerli Panther A with Cavilier Zim and a little PE.

Now, the flu is down, I ahve to go back to work on Monday, and work on Tuesday. On call for Wednesday and still need to finish my Styer and T-34/85.

Shee-it, I need a rest!

Dave

(Oakland's in the Playoff's!)
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2002 - 12:59 PM UTC
Finishing the tracks on a Paladin(M-109A6) Waiting to mark it,pending.......
Then I got to paint a DML StugIV w/cavilier Zimm.Thenthe tracks/tools for that.
New starts will be the Alan Grille M,and a what if NM/white B-49.
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2002 - 01:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Originally posted by KFMagee
d) Completed the book "Ghost Soldiers" about the rescue of the Bataan Death March prisoners - quite an amazing "real time" story, and highly recommended!

So how bout everyone else... what did you work on, and what did you do?

Agreed. Amazing book. Did you know that a film is currently being made on that story? It'll be titled "The Great Escape" I hope the movie does justice to the book and the history, not like that Pearl Harbor junk.

Re:models, I am now preshading my T-34/85 and Trumpeter USMC M1A1HA. I am hoping to have both done within the January - February time frame. Both are more-or-less built OOTB. PE/aftermarket parts are waaaay too expensive and hard to procure.
lambertjr
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 131 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2002 - 04:36 PM UTC
I have started the following projects over the holiday season:
1/72 OV-10A
1/72 A-4E
1/72 MiG-21
1/72 S-3
1/72 F-23

bytepilot
Visit this Community
Karnataka, India / भारत
entire network: 381 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2002 - 08:12 PM UTC
Well, I don't have holidays for the Xmas season here in India, but here's what I'm starting off on:
1. A Ju-88 A4 for the Luftwaffe Group Build.
2. A Hawker Hunter F.6 in Indian Air Force livery. Have ordered decal sheets from Ebay, and should be done hopefully by February..

Cheers,
BP.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 03:29 AM UTC
Finished the Italeri PAH2 AT helo in 1/72 and the old Revell Yak38, built the Tamiya T55, finished 85% of the S-tank C and am noodling over weapons loadouts for the so-so Italeri F15E Strike Eagle.
Not as much as I'd have liked.

Mike
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 03:50 AM UTC
What I've been doing....

Hmmmm well, after nuking my contest dio I started rebuilding it, rebuilding it and euhhhh rebuilding it I guess, but hey....I still love it. Only 10 days before the deadline silences my attempts to build my second dio in life........ counting down, so much work, so little time :-)
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 06:36 AM UTC
Well, to have something to do during the move and between visits to family events, I took one of my Skybow M41A3 Walker Bulldog kits along with me. I only packed some liquid cement, a sanding stick, two mini-files, and a #11 X-Acto knife to work on the kit.

Much to my surprise - I got it all assembled and ready for paint already. I really hope Skybow gets into more tank models - this one is magnificent. I don't say that about just any kit. It's so good, I put my Tamiya T-55 aside to work on later...

Gunnie
 _GOTOTOP