Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Trouble with Ford
Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 27, 2006 - 08:27 AM UTC
So last Thursday while I was getting my oil changed, I found out that I have a warped and cracked intake manifold on my 99 Mustang GT. The guy working on my car went into great detail on how the part is faulty and that there was a recall on it so I should try to get it replaced that way. Well I called the local dealership service department and they told me that I cant get it fixed by them that way because the recall was if the car was less than 7 years old. My car is 7 years and 2 weeks old. So then I go to the head of the department and he tells me he's never heard of such a recall or anything of the sorts. I called the nationwide Ford service department today and was on the phone with them for 25 minutes and I get the same response. Both service departments flat out lied to me. I found this tonight: Defective Ford Manifold

This is the lawsuit against Ford for the faulty intake manifold. It became a Goverment Class A recall that Ford replace all broken or cracked manifolds for certain vehicles. I was in Iraq while all this was going on and had no clue. And now Im gonna be stuck with the bill for replacing a faulty product on my car. I fought for my country and this is how Ford treats veterans? I told the lady on the phone twice that I have been in Iraq for the past year and had no inkling about any of this. Thanks Ford.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do? I would love to put a Bullitt aluminum intake manifold on my car but thats $900! And I need it fixed now lol.
sopmod6
Visit this Community
Tokyo-to, Japan / 日本
entire network: 761 Posts
KitMaker Network: 262 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 27, 2006 - 08:37 AM UTC
You shoulda bought Japanese. In all honesty, this I'm a Vet thing gets old. Believe me, I hear it all the time at work (VA employee). I myself am a Vet, but to use that is a poor excuse.
With Ford not owning to their obligation is, well, a boogaboo on their part, and yes, they should fix that problem for you. Ford is out there to make money for itself, not fight a cause overseas.

My 2 cents.
Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 27, 2006 - 08:48 AM UTC
Well honestly I dont go around telling everyone Im vet cause I understand that it gets old. I only told the woman this because I have been out of the country for a year so I didnt know about any problems with my car.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 27, 2006 - 08:55 AM UTC
You might try your local TV station. Here in Detroit one of our segments is to help out people who have been screwed by putting the problem on the air. Most of the time the company will take care of the problem before it hits the airwaves.
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 2,169 Posts
KitMaker Network: 447 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 27, 2006 - 08:56 AM UTC
Hi Zach

This is real sad and is a problem inherent with Ford in the US and here in Australia and New Zealand.

In three words "Poor customer service".

After problems like this with a top radiator hose blowing out on a new Ford after 5000 kms and then the bottom 5000 later "oh we know there is a problem I quess we should have done the bottom one as well." I said yes you should have and you can take the car back thanks.

I went and got a GM (General Motors Holden) product and never looked back.

My advice get it repaired either yourself or thru the dealer and sell it asap. But dont buy Japanese please support your own countries product just choose a slightly smarter option.

For the record I greatly respect the fact that you served your country and as an ex vet and a hero you indeed deserve to be treated far far better. This never ever wears thin with me period.

Hang in there buddy.

Regards

Sean
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 27, 2006 - 09:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

But dont buy Japanese please support your own countries product just choose a slightly smarter option.
Sean

At the risk of sounding political, what consittutes Japanese vs US car?

Chrysler/Dodge is a subsidiary of Daimler Benz. GM is moving much of its production to China. Ford builds cars in Canada and Mexico, and owns Jaguar and Aston Martin, is teamed with Mazda, and, IIRC, Maserati. Civics, Accords and many Toyotas are built in America, as are several other "Asian" marques.

The Ford GT, a stunningly beautiful car, was subject to a major componemt recall that informed owners of this $150,000 car to have it flatbedded to the dealer, the steering defect was so bad. That's not a labor issue, that's just bad engineering.

Zach's issue of being told Ford won't fix a known problem because the car is two weeks over warrantee is just plain stupidity on Ford's part and gives credence to the F***d On a Raw Deal joke.

Zach, I'd contact the regional manager asap.

Find a support forum on-line and see what they've done to alleviate this issue and give you support. (There was a discussion on an S2000 forum some months back where a dealer was ing an owner and here was a flood of support by way of e-mails to the dealer and the American Honda to fix the problem. IIRC, this was resolved inthe customer's favor. )

Also, check with your attorney general's office of consumer affairs.

And, if need be, play the vet card. You were out of contact for a year while this problem was being resolved. You deserve a break for that.

Keep us posted.
DODGE01RT
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 545 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 27, 2006 - 12:04 PM UTC
That sucks Zach,

FORD also had a problem with the exhaust man. as well.Two weeks past the 7 years is BS in my book overseas or not.Can you try another dealer and see what they say?

Best of luck with it.

Jim

FORD
Owners
Recomend
DODGE

Couldn't resist!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 27, 2006 - 01:52 PM UTC
I think Al's advice is the best I've seen. That and get ahold of the local TV station. By all means play the Vet card. In all honesty, I think the company is really sc**ing up by not resolving this issue fairly. Contact the regional manager, the national company and get support from one of the loacl TV stations. You play the VET card because it is an automatic rage multiplier. Plus the fact that this is totally unfair. The bad publicity especialy now will work to your advantage. US car maufacturers are on the ropes right now ( NOtice all the 0% interest deals starting to crop up again)
Gunfighter
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 374 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 27, 2006 - 05:47 PM UTC
I'll second Al's advice. And I think the vet card is worthy. Why should you get screwed over when you were serving our country and essentially protecting our interests and way of life?

I had a situation with our Buick Regal GS where the transmission failed on it (ironically enough, on the actual 9/11 at about 9:00am). The car was over the 36,000 mile limit, but just under the 3 year part. The dealership fixed the tranny for free, stating the rationale that we hadn't exceeded both parts of the warranty. They even offered us an extended 50,000 mile warranty on the tranmission for $100, which I thought was a steal.

I did a little more research, just to find out why the goodwill gesture was made and found that a TSB existed for a transmission issue. Whether it was CYA or true goodwill, I wasn't complaining!

Good luck and I hope everything works out for you.

- Frank
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 27, 2006 - 07:42 PM UTC
FIX
OR
REPAIR
DAILY

My Honda was built in canehda.202 K miles so far.