Discuss general weathering topics here.
pigments in an airbrush
unprofor
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 254 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 03:02 PM UTC
I last red an articel in the tamiya magazine ( march issue) about the sturmgeschutz III that marcus nicholls builded. He weatherd the model by using MIG Pigments mixed with thinner in an airbrush!!! I wonder if this is good for your airbrush and does anybody have experiance with that?
Ross
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 213 Posts
KitMaker Network: 81 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 03:43 PM UTC
I tried it in my Badger 100, using White Spirit as the thinner and also water. It did not work. The pigment did not get into suspension and immediately settled at the bottom of the colour resevoir. Possibly used too much pigment?

Ross
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 2,220 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 05:19 PM UTC
I have done it, You need to keep mixing the pigment in the cup. I used Tamiya thinner and a vairly high PSI for me. I also shot it thru my Aztec, I would NEVER shoot it through my Iwata!
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,544 Posts
KitMaker Network: 71 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 06:00 PM UTC
IT WORKS!!! I have been shooting MIG pigments through my Aztec 470 for a while and I must admit that I am quite pleased with the results.

I use a high flow nozzle and crank up the psi to about 30-35 -- no problems whatso ever! I mix my pigments with alcohol and a drop of liquid soap. I mix it to the consistency of a wash then bang! I am off to the races!

I must say this technique will yield better results than using a brush as you have more control. Also, I cover my models in Future or Satin finsh BEFORE any weathering is done to avoid pooling and "Dry spots".

Chris

Oh yeah for you Aztec users they make a "splatter" nozzle as well that is ideal for light tot medium mud splatters.....
 _GOTOTOP