_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Springbok Club
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Olifant Mk1a tank kills
Graugrun
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
entire network: 125 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 11:38 AM UTC
Howzit Guys

I wondered if some of you could help me clarify a certain issue.

On the front cover of Helmoed-Romer heitman's book dealing with our last battles in Angola against the Cubans, Russians and other, he has a picture of some Olifant Mk 1a's tanks lined up.

These tanks all have red "kill" marking type rings on their barrels. In the book Helmoed states that these were for those tanks that had been zeroed in. Pierre from VEG magazine tells me that these were definatley kill markings, the large rings being T-54/5 tanks and the smaller rings were for AFV or other soft skin vehicles. Logic tells me that Pierre is right.

Can some of you Armour guys (some of you might have even been there fighting in these tanks at the time) please confirm this for me.

Regards,
Graugrun
Vorster
Visit this Community
North-West, South Africa
entire network: 119 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 07:15 PM UTC
Ask the guys from the armor school at nationals. I seem to remember a gnarled old sargeant I met at our show in potch last year who deployed with the first sqaudron into Angola in 1987.

Strange thing of this sqaudron is that it had 13 tanks instead of the normal 10. This suggests 1 tank extra per troop or an extra troop.

On this subject does anyone here have detailed info on the make-up of the units involved down to sqaud level. I am trying to create some army lists so we can replay the battles next year on the 10 year anniversary.
 _GOTOTOP