Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
What is going on in Pittsburgh?
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,602 Posts
KitMaker Network: 447 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 12:14 AM UTC
Does anyone know just what the heck is going on over in pittsburgh? I know some of you guys are from around that area.

All I can get from the news is that they are shutting down roads and telephone because there may or may not have been a man who may or may not have had a gun.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 12:27 AM UTC
Checked all my headline site and nothing's listed.
redneck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 12:34 AM UTC
I haven’t checked the big channels but Pittsburghs local channel WTAE is running full coverage on it. They just don’t seem to know anything.

Looks like the cops are all over the place looking for someone with a rifle. But they don’t know if thats really whats happening or not.

Seems like it might be focused around the golden triangle area but the whole downtown area apears to be shut down.
redneck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 12:48 AM UTC
Just found WTAE's website.
heres the story there running.
http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/8188403/detail.html#
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 01:11 AM UTC
Shooting pigeons??????? :-)
redneck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 01:18 AM UTC
Yea I just heard it too.
And to think they shut the city down for 2hr because some one was doing a little pigeon hunting. :-)

Anyway for those of you that don’t know apparently a man was on the roof of a building shooting pigeons with an air rifle.
Max_Fischer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 639 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 03:15 AM UTC
I swear to god, IT better not be a airsoft gun.
snowman6
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 51 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 11:32 AM UTC
piegons are good eating you know. In my old neighborhood I was known as the piegon eradicator.
redneck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 05:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

piegons are good eating you know. In my old neighborhood I was known as the piegon eradicator.

But when shooting them from the top of a city building I wonder hard it is to find them after they hit the ground? :-)

Just un update. Last night on the news I heard that apparently in Pennsylvania shooting at pigeons with an airgun from the roof of a city building is perfectly legal.

Yet if you shot crow from the bed of a truck parked along side the road in the middle of no where thats illegal.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 05:48 PM UTC
Well, now I know where to go the next time I get an overwhelming desire to shoot pigeons.... :-)
mongo_mel
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,580 Posts
KitMaker Network: 244 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 07:01 PM UTC
Sometimes my city just makes me so proud I could just BURST :-)
Yeah, we had a guy that worked for the building maintenance who decided that the best way to solve the pidgeon problem was to bring a pellet gun (with scope of course) and shoot them from the top of the building
How freaking brilliant is that!!!
Had downtown shut down for a couple of hours until the authorities figured out just what was going on. Last I heard, if he did shoot any pidgeons he could get cited for that since it's apparently illegal to shoot anything within the city limits.
So, if you want to participate in a pidgeon shoot you may have to go over to Ohio. I believe they have an annual pidgeon shoot there.
As a side note to this, we had a big time local newscaster here that once got into trouble over pidgeons. Seems he suggested on air that they ought to poison the local pidgeons in the downtown area ( or something equally destructive). Really made for a lot of trouble for him as I recall.
Gotta love Pittsburgh
Craig
PS: Jacob, any chance you're gonna make it out to our show this Saturday? I remember you wanted to come out last year but ended up not being able to get out here.
redneck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 10:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Last I heard, if he did shoot any pidgeons he could get cited for that since it's apparently illegal to shoot anything within the city limits.

That sucks. I’ve always wanted to go hunting up there at the Zoo.
Is it wrong that I get very hungry every time a go to that place?

Out here you only need permission from all the property owners within I think 300yrs. Target shooting I think is 100yrds. This includes within towns.

But remember you can still go hunting in the middle of the city. You just have to shoot the critters in self-defense. :-)

Yea your right about last year. Sadly I don’t think I’ll be able to make it up this year either. Luckily this time no ones in the hospital but I kind of no longer have a drivers licence.
Don’t think the cities exactly a safe place to drive without one.

Do you guys have this every year? If so I’ll get down there one of these years.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 10:09 PM UTC
Whatever happened (as my personal tribute to the GREAT Tom Lehrer) to poisoning pigeons in the park?..Jim :-)
mongo_mel
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,580 Posts
KitMaker Network: 244 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 10:36 PM UTC
Hi Jacob,
Sorry to hear that you won't be able to make it out here this year. But you're right. It wouldn't bee too wise to drive around here without a drivers license

We've been doing an annual show for quite a few years now. In fact, next year we're hosting the Region 4 two day regional show (our second one now).
Keep an eye on our website for information.
In case you don't have one, here's a link to it....
http://www.threeriversipms.org/blog/
Craig
redneck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 11:10 PM UTC
Thanks Craig I’ve just added the link to my bookmarks.

I’ll try making it out there one of these years.
Gunfighter
Visit this Community
entire network: 743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 374 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 07:11 PM UTC
This whole scenario had me laughing. I work downtown in the USS Steel Building and the rumors flying were incredible. Guy with a high powered rifle & scope on the roof, guy in camos on the roof, guy running around with camos and a sniper rifle, etc. etc.

My sister calls me in a panic, my mother-in-law calls my wife in a panic, who then calls me...

I realize it could've been something worse, but the office and home rumor mills were working overtime.

Craig - Hope the show goes well. I know you've tried to get me to stop by and wouldn't you know that I'll be watching the kids and won't be able to make it. I'd bring them, but I'm sure that my 2 year old would make off with someone's AM'd out-the-wazoo plane.

- Frank