Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Help from Irish Modelers
garthbender
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 44 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 12:18 AM UTC
For all of those from Ireland or who travel there frequently, I have a few questions as I am visiting in June. The reason I come to you, my fellow modelers, is that I figure I may get it a bit more honest than from a travel agent or from friends who have made the trip.

For my honeymoon, we are spending a week in Ireland and a week in France. I lived in France for a while, so that part of the trip seems to have worked itself out. I’m having trouble figuring out our stay in Ireland.

Eileen, my fiancée, wants to spend the last few nights in Dublin, and before that we were going to stay a few in Kinsale. So where should we go the first three? We are flying into Shannon and were going to spend a night in Doolin or Galway, then head over to Dingle for a few. The problem with this is two fold. Isn’t the drive from Galway to Dingle going to take forever? Also, it seems like Dingle has gotten very touristy.

So, then I thought that we would split the trip 3 ways between Galway, Kinsale and Dublin and skip Dingle all together. We both have been working really hard lately and don’t want to spend our honeymoon running around too much. Basically, we are looking for a place we can just relax and not be surrounded by touristy things.

Anyhow, if anyone can help me with figuring this out, that would be awesome. If you have strong feelings about a place I mentioned or some place I didn’t mention, but might, or should, end up, please let me know. I am totally lost in this. I seriously haven’t had a vacation in 12 years and almost don’t remember how.

~ Thanks in advance
~ Garth
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 03:57 AM UTC
There's a ferry across the Shannon if you're going to Dingle from Galway but the whole of the Dingle Peninsula is very much tourist oriented, but then so is Galway and in June as is most of the rest of Ireland.
Her are some travel times by car
Shannon Airport to Dingle : 4 hrs
To: Kinsale,Cork : 4hrs
Kinsale -Dublin 4hrs
all times from AA route planner
http://www.theaa.com/travelwatch/planner_main.jsp?database=I
I would say forget Dingle in June (Though if you insist I know a great B&B)
Go to Ballyvaughan in Clare from Shannon, then maybe Kilkenny and on to Dublin.
If you want any more info just ask
Don't forget to drive on the left!
garthbender
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 07:34 PM UTC
Hey Pat,

Thanks for the great info. We are going to skip Dingle for sure now. Ballyvaughan looks like it is just what we need. Thanks fot the tip. From there is seems like we can take side trips anywhere we might want in the West, but will also have the peace and quiete we are going to need after the wedding.

I've heard a lot of good stuff about Kilkenny. My parents were there a few years ago and loved it. A lot of my relatives are buried ther and I think that is where my grandparents were married, so it would probably be a good place to visit.

What's the deal with Kinsale? We have heard really mixed things about it. Would it at least be worth a side trip? Or maybe Cobh? We are taking the ferry to Cherbourg from Rosslare, so Kilkenny would probably fit best into our schedule.

By the way, how awesome is it that Eileen is letting me plan half of our honeymoon in Normandy?

Thanks for all of the help Pat!

~ Garth
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 06:22 AM UTC
Kinsale is a great place to eat if you like seafood but it functions more as a retirement colony for english really. Cobh is worth a visit. An Irish guy who won the lotto has decked out his restaurant as one of the dining rooms of the Titanic. Cork city is also worth a visit too.
tango20
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
entire network: 1,281 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2006 - 04:51 PM UTC
Hi Garth

I was born in Wales so have been across the water a number of times loved Kinsale very Historic great food and i think it was just off the coast there that the Lusitania was sunk really scary golf course there one hole you are right on the edge of a huge bloody cliff ...lol
Great B/B Called Edwards Bar in Kinsale great value great people wonderful food.
Hope you have a great time and have a glass of the black stuff for me .
Cheers Chris
garthbender
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 - 08:07 AM UTC
Thanks guys... Both of you were a huge help. The final schedule is:
2 nights Ballyvaughan
2 nights Kinsale
1 night Carlow (we'll spend the day in Kilkenny, but I couldn't find a place to stay)
2 nights Dublin

Chris, the 2 night in Kinsale are at Edwards Bar like you suggested. That place is a great deal and looks awesome.

Thanks again for the help guys! You made it much less stressful.

~ Garth