_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Hidden details : do you build or not
nicoropi
Visit this Community
Vaud, Switzerland
entire network: 243 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2006 - 03:10 PM UTC
Another philosophical question :
Do you usualy build the hidden details (engine under a close boot on armor for example)?

I used to paint and even details some engines that would never see the light when the model is completed.
Then I stopped painting, and paid less attention to details.
On my last model, I did not even include the engine!
Idid this because I am sure that the truck is going on a diorama where it would not be possible to look at the truck from under + I will need the engine to put in a garage that will be in the diorama...

I guess this is linked to another question : why do you build model. If somebody builds model for the fun of detailing eveything, and is not so much bother about the final look, spending time on something that will not add to the overall look is OK.

I'd like what your approach is. I read a post about somebody building a plane and detailing stuff that would be hidden (forgot the correct words for what he was building), and that's what prompted my question...
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2006 - 03:17 PM UTC
I do add the engine if it is supplied with the kit. If the engine is to be seen with an open Bonnet (Hood) I do detail and paint it. If the bonnet is closed and there is no way the engine will be seen I do not detail or paint it. I do however make sure there is at least a sump (bottom of engine) showing underneath.

I tend to build my own models as normally there is no kits availiable for what I enjoy building, which for those that don't know are WW2 trucks, preferably those that saw survice with Australian Forces.

I have almost finished two armor models and while they are Australian ones I honestly will admit to not been overfussed with doing them. This is probably why they are not finished yet.

Cheers
Cliff
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2006 - 03:55 PM UTC
Well, I am not an automotive builder, and as such I have little interest in engines just for the sake of building engines.

Most of my work is with tanks, and most tank engines are not on display.

But I do model a lot of details I know no one will see, but I will know they are there.

I've added 10+parts to M113 drivers seat, fully well knowing no one but me will know it is there.
The world is not a better place for my adding blige outlet piping or the ramp pulley either, but for some kits, I put things that I KNOW need to be there in, even if you will never see them

Mike
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2006 - 04:11 PM UTC
If it won't be seen then I don't add it. It goes in the spares box for later use. You never know when it might come in handy.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2006 - 04:34 PM UTC
On a stand alone kit I do, it was included and my focus is the vehicle so why not.
In a diorama I might not if it's not going to be noticed or isn't in a story line.
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
entire network: 1,871 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2006 - 04:41 PM UTC
No, I do not build or detail areas that will not be seen. If I build and details engines or interiors I leave the hatches open for "inspection"

Erik
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,192 Posts
KitMaker Network: 386 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2006 - 04:56 PM UTC
I like open hatches, so if there is interior detail provided it goes in. I do have a PzIV that I bought an interior for, but I do find the AM resin stuff expensive, so don't do this very often. In this case it was for display on the FAMO & trailer, so it looked broken down, I needed the track brakes to be visible through the acces hatches.
But I can't see the point of the gearbox & fuel tank under the floor of the Dragon halftracks, because there is no way you would ever see them unless the vehicle was blown up! If Vinnie doesn't use them any more that's good enough for me.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2006 - 05:15 PM UTC
Out of site-Out of mind.... pretty simple for me.
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2006 - 05:39 PM UTC
I build for fun, plain and simple. I will add the engine if its included with the kit and paint it. But normally i dont detail it. I did on the 6x6 I just finished because it is visible. First time Ive ever added any detail to a kit.

Dave

ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2006 - 07:24 PM UTC
Many times I will save those hidden parts for other projects, such as a mechanic repairing an engine removed from at truck or something like that...
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 5,435 Posts
KitMaker Network: 454 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2006 - 07:43 PM UTC
Unless included in the kit, I won't pay attention to let's say an engine if I close all the hatches. Why bother?

If I decide to open the hatches or build a blown up tank or something like that, I do pay attention to this detail. But you can also see it then

Martin
Prato
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
entire network: 1,002 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2006 - 08:07 PM UTC
Well, why bother with something that it's not going to be seen and that can enrich your spares' box or part of a dio? I never build motors and stuff if they're not needed for the structure of the kit and they are not seen! It's a way of filling my spares' box: you never know when a motor is needed!
Cheers and happy modelling!
Prato
pod123
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 187 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2006 - 08:53 PM UTC
i tend to agree with the above i,m currently building a dragon hanomag and left out the fuel tank engine etc as its under the floor :-) :-)
my modeling time is far to scarce to build things which wont be seen and why waste paint on them
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2006 - 10:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Out of site-Out of mind.... pretty simple for me.

Truer words were never spoken, or written. I can't even get too excited about the backs of wheels being open, unless they are easily seen. Now if I was going to be entering a kit in a major competition, which I normally don't, and I know there will be somebody there with a flashlight and dental mirror to look under and behind things, and it could mean the difference between winning and not, then I'd think of doing it. That's one reason I don't enter such things to often.
clovis899
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 774 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2006 - 10:42 PM UTC
I am with the majority here. If it is not going to be seen I save the parts for future projects. Someday I will have enough engines to build one of those super dioramas of an engine factory alone!!

Rick Cooper
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 02:29 AM UTC
I have no set plan. I generaly will build the entire kit unless I have a special need for the part / assembly, then I would leave it out. Usually if I build it, I try to find a way to display it, open hatches or not gluing the hood down, merely placing it there.
DrDull
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 133 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 03:59 AM UTC
When I first got back into modeling (not very long ago), I just followed the kit directions and ended up carefully adding details and painting a lot of stuff that I was later surprised to find out couldn't be seen . My wife said "That's all right; you know its there." but that wasn't much consolation for the time spent. I've become an adherent of the out-of-sight philosphy expressed earlier. Putting the extra parts in the spares box is a good idea too.
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 04:16 AM UTC
Yeah with every build I find myself doing/adding more and more detail than necessary. My last model, I built and installed four map lights into a cockpit. Your not able to see one. One habit I did stop was buying those photo-etch set that is never seen in many of the helicopter kits I build. I will try do make my own cockpit detail though, just to satisfy myself. As to why I do so much...well again it's satisfying, peaceful and gives me plenty to do.
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 1,735 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 06:00 AM UTC
Been on both side of the river on this issue. Its a 50/50 call for me and definitely a personal one. Most of the time I'd include the hidden details coz for nothing else and even if nobody is going to see it I'd would know its there. For some odd reason that seems to give me a small degree of satisfaction.

Unless I find that the hidden parts could be used elsewhere for some dio purposes for example, then I probably wouldn't include the hidden parts in the model.
wonktnodi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
entire network: 190 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 07:51 AM UTC
I used to try to paint and detail everything in the kit, I figured if nothing else I knew it was there. But lately if it can't be seen then I set the parts aside.
Gunfighter
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 374 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 05:40 PM UTC
I tend to skip the hidden details, unless its some type of construction that I'd like to enhance my skills on, knowing that if I screwed it up, no one will see it!

It is nice to have the option, because I know as my skills increase, I'll find a way to display that detail.

- Frank
Spades
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 776 Posts
KitMaker Network: 190 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 09:25 PM UTC
I agree with Grumpy, " Out of sight, out of mine." Unless I have a plan on showing the interior, engine or crew compartment, than its included. If not, forget it.
 _GOTOTOP