_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
help,any ideas on scratch/b 40s lamp posts
driffowl
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 42 Posts
KitMaker Network: 28 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 07:12 PM UTC
can anybody help please with ideas/tips on building 1940s european style lamp posts from scratch.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 07:47 PM UTC
Which scale are you doing them in? Armo does two different ones in Resin and PE, and Royal Models does a very nice one in both double and single versions. They look right to me for the '40's era. Mig Productions makes one but it is modern. If you want working ones,You may be able to find just what you need in the Walthers catalog.
If you really want to scratch them, it looks like a mini lathe might be a good investment. The bases on most are quite elaborate. Even for a simple one you'll probably want several sizes of tubing to create expanding concentric rings aroung the top and bottom of the light post, and thin strips of Evergreen or flat brass for the light itself. If it needs to work, you can install grain of wheat bulbs, but depending upon the scale, you may only be able to run one lead through the tube. In that case, you'll need to use the tubing itself as the second lead, or if you're using nonmetal, get yourself some conductive paint (also in Walther's) and paint the lead on the outside of the pot, and then paint over that with black, or whichever color you choose.
esc71
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 222 Posts
KitMaker Network: 57 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 08:05 PM UTC
Tamiya and Verlinden both have WW2 era lamp post kits. The Verlinden one is OOP but can probably still be found. Maybe there are elements of one of those kits you can start with and scratch the rest if you don't like a particular part of the kit lamps.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 09:28 PM UTC
If scratching is your goal here is what I would do.
Go to a specialty wood working shop and check out thier spindals for various cabinet and furniture making.
Try and piece together parts from those to make the base.
The lamp part will be pieced together over various plastic card parts.

I would mold a master and pour resin copies to get duplicates.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 6,705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,084 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 10:07 PM UTC
Greetings, and welcome to Armorama, Geoff!
Listen, before you scratch-build your lamposts, check out this set from MiniArt Ltd.

http://www.miniart-models.com/Images/ModelKits/Bulding_r0.jpg

It's a really good kit, very accurate, and quite inexpensive...look for a review on the pages of Armorama soon for this set...

Gunny
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 10:17 PM UTC
Gunny's right a reivew is just waiting for server stabalization It should be up very soon.
driffowl
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 42 Posts
KitMaker Network: 28 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2006 - 10:29 AM UTC
thanks for the welcome & advice i will check it out.
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 138 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 07:54 PM UTC
Hi geoff,
I had a go at this a while ago,i found the best things to use are "pens",if you look around they come in any number of designs,the pen tube is the main part to use for the pole itself,you can even join a couple together and use thicker ones for the base.I even used a christmas light shade for the lantern.I have a whole tub of stripped pens of all varieties just for this purpose.Hope this helps,i forgot to add i use these for 1/35 scale
 _GOTOTOP