_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Canada
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
New Formations kit
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 06:13 PM UTC
hi guys just thought some of you might like to know that Rob has done a RamII OP kit ...how cool is that ...

http://www.formationsmodels.com/1160734.html

Rick
Joker
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 813 Posts
KitMaker Network: 203 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 07:52 PM UTC
If I was looking for a book on Canadian/Commonwealth Shermans, are there any titiles you could recommend?
I've heard of the Hunnicutt series, but maybe something a little less rare?
Thanks for your input
Peter
DODGE01RT
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 545 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 10:26 PM UTC
Richard ,

I saw this over at PMMS and yes it does look good.Looks like they have a nice selection of Sherman stuff.Makes me think of doing something WWII for a change.

Jim
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 330 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 03:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If I was looking for a book on Canadian/Commonwealth Shermans

What sort of info are you looking for? If it's technical stuff, there are a bunch that try to fill in some of the gaps in Hunnicutt, but only Hunnicutt has the bulk of the technical details in one spot.

If you are looking at service information, Hunnicutt really has none of that. You'll like things like the South Albertas Regimental History, The Gov General's Horse Guards History as well. Both have a lot of photos and good text. Steve Guthrie's Sherman In Canadian Serive in the Service Publications' Weapons of War series is a good short primer as well.

There are a LOT fo books on Brit usage plus a few more on Canadian ues as well. Unlike the technical content, the combat history information is well scattered across a lot of old and new publications.

Paul
Joker
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 813 Posts
KitMaker Network: 203 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 09:55 AM UTC
Hi Paul,
Thanks for answering. I think what I'm looking for is the external differences in the Shermans used by Commnonwealth troops as opposed to US troops. Regimental/Unit history is pretty well documented ( I'm an ex BCR, so I wont be straying too far from the fold, and I've got a copy of the regimental history).
My concern was to replicate as close as possible the types of Shermans used by Canadians. Sounds like Hunnicutt is the one to find, Was there some buzz at one time that the publisher was going to reprint?
Thanks again for your time.
Pete
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 330 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 10:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think what I'm looking for is the external differences in the Shermans used by Commnonwealth troops as opposed to US troops.

Easy. Stowage and markings. The Brits used subtly different stowage than the Yanks. Pick a tank and I can probably dig up what you need. Actual photos are much better, but I will see what I can dig up.

Quoted Text

Sounds like Hunnicutt is the one to find

Sorry, but it won't help you unless you are building a Firefly. Hunnicutt focusses on American use and the changes put in place by any of the Lend Lease operators are not covered at all. Not a bit.

You'll need actual photos of Commonwealth examples of the version you want to build.

Quoted Text

Was there some buzz at one time that the publisher was going to reprint?

Lots of hope, but no buzz, unfortunately.
 _GOTOTOP